Binomial expansion (1 Viewer)

tickboom

HSC
Uni Grad
This is eerily similar to Q14 a) of the 2020 Extension 1 exam. I made a video working through the explanation, which you might find helpful when thinking in general about the benefit of the "equating of coefficients" technique.

Enjoy!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
This problem has come up om quite a few exams in different forms, including as part of larger questions, like:

1. Show this result.

2. A and B each toss a fair coin times. If one tosses more heads than the other, s/he wins... if it's a draw, they toss again.
(a) Find the probability that they each toss the same number of heads.
(b) Hence, show that the probability of A winning on the first try is .

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Can someone please explain how to do this type of questions, and also what is the big idea/ purpose of 'equating the coefficients' ? Thanks in advance
Equating coefficients is a useful technique for proving identities by making two equivalent forms of the same expression.

For example, suppose I wanted to write

in the form

I can expand the second form and equate coefficients to find the values of that make the identity

true for all values of . I would find that , that and that , and thus that the identity is

Why would this be something I might use, you may well ask... Well, suppose I sought .

Using the identity, I can find the integral:

In the area of binomials, equating coefficients is one of the techniques used to solve problems and to prove identities.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
In order to let you work on the solution yourself, I will offer one based on a different identity:

Considering the RHS of the identity established in the above Lemma, we can expand and see that:

It is clear that the term in in this expansion is . Hence, the the term we seek for our result, , is the coefficient of in the expansion of . It is therefore reasonable to conjecture that the other part of the result we seek will be the coefficient of in the expansion of the LHS of the identity established in the Lemma.

Expanding the terms separately:

Now, every term in the expansion of will consist of the product of and a term from the first expansion and a term from the second expansion. Thus:

It thus follows from equating the coefficients of from the LHS and RHS of the identity established in the Lemma that we have found that:

as expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)