• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Binomial theorem and polynomials HELP (3 Viewers)

hayabusaboston

HSC
I need to know all the basic elements of questions you can get from the two topics. Eg
Expand (1+x)^10 is one type of question

Find the coefficient of x^3 in (6+4x^2)^7 is another type of question

Basically, all the types of questions you can get from these topics. Please help me with this, I am NOT looking for lots of questions of the same type, but all the questions of different types. There aren't many, I just cant think of them all at the moment.

There is also the Tk=nck formula thing, another type of question

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What textbook do you use?

Cambridge has an excellent treatment on both polynomials and the binomial theorem.
Past HSC questions are most likely what you are looking for though. As they are generally Q6 or Q7, they tend to be harder and more difficult to understand than typical textbook examples.

Binomial theorem and applications is generally something you need to work through so you can apply your knowledge to unfamiliar questions rather than having a set of standard questions that you can answer. You generally don't get standard questions for this topic on the 3u paper. While the typical array of questions straddles substitution, differentiation/integration and equating co-efficients, it is the application of these things to novel situations that makes these questions among the hardest and most poorly answered on the paper.

Polynomials on the other hand is stock standard for the most part - again past papers are your best bet for the typical range of questions you will get. Again though, application of roots in novel situations can make for harder questions.

The best way of knowing the types of questions is by basically doing them all (from past papers in particular). This will prepare you the best for when you come against questions that don't fit the mould.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

hayabusaboston

HSC
I don't actually have one, my teacher accelerates us year 10's informally, and i have my final exam for year 10 maths coming up and I have two goals: To get 100 percent, and to beat my rival. I realise you must apply knowledge to new situations, what I meant to say, which i wasn;t sure how to, was if someone could explain all the most basic types of questions, by induction and a bit of intuition I usually deduce how to solve a new problem with the basic info. But I just realised now, I hadn't thought of past papers. Thanks man!

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Have you done calculus yet - I'm guessing not but heh.

If not, a lot of the harder HSC stuff is going to be a little beyond you.

What I would suggest you doing is doing as much as you can of past papers - including past papers at your school (hassle your teacher for as many as you can get your hands on). Going through these under exam conditions will give you the edge you are looking for.

As for the future, definitely get your hands on Extension 1 Cambridge Mathematics by Pender et. al. (both the Y11 and Y12 books). There is none better and if you wish to get ahead, these books are perfect for you. This should give you a good grounding for Extension 2 in Y12 if such takes your fancy.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

hayabusaboston

HSC
Have you done calculus yet - I'm guessing not but heh.

If not, a lot of the harder HSC stuff is going to be a little beyond you.

What I would suggest you doing is doing as much as you can of past papers - including past papers at your school (hassle your teacher for as many as you can get your hands on). Going through these under exam conditions will give you the edge you are looking for.

As for the future, definitely get your hands on Extension 1 Cambridge Mathematics by Pender et. al. (both the Y11 and Y12 books). There is none better and if you wish to get ahead, these books are perfect for you. This should give you a good grounding for Extension 2 in Y12 if such takes your fancy.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Actually, I have done calculus :) We've finished the extension 1 HSC Maths course almost, and my rival (Who we call "bones") and I are on top of the class, we both have had no problems thus far grasping concepts. The really irritating topic for me though was permutations and combinations, it really pissed me off, but Im okay with that now.

So Cambridge Maths textbooks are the best there are?

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes to Cambridge. Bill Pender is the Godfather (in my opinion at least) of HSC mathematics and these textbooks are simply brilliant. They ideally prepare students for Extension 2 (the Ext 2 cambridge book is by different authors and is a rehash of the old Arnold and Arnold book which while OK is not that great - Coroneos, Komaromi, and Terry Lee for the win there).

Permutations and Combinations is fun once you get the hang of it. Again, the only way to get good at these is to just do question after question until you don't get them wrong anymore.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, I have done calculus :) We've finished the extension 1 HSC Maths course almost, and my rival (Who we call "bones") and I are on top of the class, we both have had no problems thus far grasping concepts. The really irritating topic for me though was permutations and combinations, it really pissed me off, but Im okay with that now.

So Cambridge Maths textbooks are the best there are?
Fitzpatrick is also good. You can also try out Terry Lee's 3U book.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I need to know all the basic elements of questions you can get from the two topics. Eg
Expand (1+x)^10 is one type of question

Find the coefficient of x^3 in (6+4x^2)^7 is another type of question

Basically, all the types of questions you can get from these topics. Please help me with this, I am NOT looking for lots of questions of the same type, but all the questions of different types. There aren't many, I just cant think of them all at the moment.

There is also the Tk=nck formula thing, another type of question
Do you want me to write some problems for you? Do you mean the general term formula?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Binomial Theorem,

I will leave Blaise Pascal's Triangle here.

First let's define a special property. (You will be seeing this alot.)

Secondly,

We need to define the expansion of (I am sure you know this already, I am just doing it as a refresher.

In similar style,

(Noting that the first term decreasing by a degree of 1 each time and the second term increases by a degree of 1.)

Let us so a few questions on this. No biggy.

Expand:

Q1.
(Why did I write the coefficients? To help you understand where it is coming from. It's coming from our pascal's triangle.

Q2.

Now, this is baby maths. Let's get onto the interesting stuff.

Expand the term as far as . The find the term in in the expansion

We obviously have no choice, we will expand this quickly,

(We don't need to continue, we see already and by inspection, we can see if we continue, no other terms will produce .)

Let's do this!

By using your eyes, we can see that the following make babies with ,

(The rest we abandon.)

Hence the term in in the expansion is,

General term:

Love (Relationships of Bionomial Coefficients.

Let's look at some past questions.

Equating coefficients (1st type.)

Example 1: 2010 3U HSC

This question is very simple. It requires you to recognise that,

Let's just now focus on the first part:

If we let

(No more !)

Hence

Example 2: From tutoring.

Obviously, we need to consider two expansions:

(1)

(2) (Note, the sign alternates. That is a BIG clue!)

Let's select some nice numbers,

(Since we know that the coefficients are in front of 3s!)

(We know that the RHS has something to do with 10s.)

From (1),

(1)[/tex]

(1)[/tex]

From (2),

Now, (1)+(2)

The magic happens here!

(As required.)

Differentiating (2nd type)

Example 3: Cambridge Ex 5F. (Altered slightly by me.)

Considering:

Show that

Firstly, we of course as instructed, need to consider,

We notice that there are multiples in front of each term. This is a clue to introduce calculus. Differentiation.

Taking the derivative of both sides,

We are very close to getting what we want, but pesky is in the way. How do we get rid of an instantly?

Let

Still in the process of typing and editing errors still, so stayed tuned.

Integrating (3rd type.)

Example 4: Fitzpatrick 29 (a)

Show that,

Spiral tip - Fractions indicate calculus is involved. This case, we get the value

I will integrate over the values 0, 1. Watch what happens.

(All with limits 0 to 1.)

Shifting by multiplication of a variable.

St George 2005 3U Trial

You are in luck. This question guides you. But normally the clue to multiple by the variable x is when.

Quickly do the first couple of questions since I probably won't need to guide you through them.

a)

i. Product rule of course!

ii) (Notice how the bottom number of the nice brackets corresponds with the degree of the polynomial. But we see when we expand it, it will shift like so...)

Let us now differentiate the expression.

Going to take an hour nap, then be back with more examples. Note I skipped the others, because I thought relationships are the most interesting.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)