• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BIOLOGY or PHYSICS? (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
recently im getting bored with a course that i picked... i wont go into any specific details tho..
but my science knowledge is very limited.
i only scored 60% using multiple questions in the SC ..
what subject should i pick?

Sofstar

HSC
Umm, it's more about what you like than what mark you got because if you like the subject you will want to study and work.

Biology is alot of theory and Yr 11 is mostly about plants, early earth and alittle bit of a revision of Yr 10 biology topics. Yr 12 will go more into the human body.

There are other current Yr 12's doing both, just wait around til they see this thread.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
orly? said:
recently im getting bored with a course that i picked... i wont go into any specific details tho..
but my science knowledge is very limited.
i only scored 60% using multiple questions in the SC ..
what subject should i pick?
ya rly?

I'd go biology.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
PHYSICS !!!!

Physics is everything, literally.

Physics is bound by nothing and studies on Physics still continue today whereas biology can only expand if there are enough life forms to research and discover.

HSC
Do you <have> to pick one of them? I'm assuming youre not strong at either...so why not pick something else?

kloudsurfer

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Biology is the hardest science.
Really? Personally, i think it is the easiest, and ive never met anyone who thinks that. Boring, yes, but hard, no.

Anyway, i was in the same situation as you at the start of yr 11. I started off in physics for like a week and then realised that it was all wrong for me and i should have been doing bio.

Anyway, a good way to work it out is are you more of a 'maths' person or an 'english/arts' person? If you are a maths person, go for physics, if you are more english, than go for bio.

Anyway, if you are in yr 11, dont you have a couple of weeks at the start when you can change subjects? Talk to the teachers of each subject, have a look through the textbooks, see what interests you more.

I know it sounds corny, but the only person who can tell you wat subject to pick is you.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Biology is the hardest science.
kloudsurfer said:
Really? Personally, i think it is the easiest, and ive never met anyone who thinks that. Boring, yes, but hard, no.
Everyone's different but IMO physics is harder than bio and like kloudsufer I've never, ever, ever heard anyone say that. :lol:

Adding to kloudsurfers list of people to talk to head teachers, careers advisors, parents, year advisor. Look through the syllabus and text books see which subject interests you the most.

Do you know what you want to do in life and would bio or physics help more with that career? :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
S1M0 said:
explain why, please.
I was in a hurry when I posted that so sorry that I didn't clarify and justify what I said.

IMHO, Biology is the hardest science because it involves understanding large quanities of information and the questions asked in exams are usually vague or worded with the intention of confusing people to make up for the regurgitation nature of the HSC course.

Also IMHO, I find Chemistry and Physics much easier because I find the concepts much easier to learn. Also the exam questions are pretty much straight-forward.

This is my personal ranking from hardest to easiest: Biology, Chemistry, Phyics.

EDIT:

kloudsurfer said:
...if you are more english, than go for bio.
This is exactly why I find Biology the most difficult. FYI, I'm only average at English.

And don't be fooled by Physics, it's not some super nerdy elitist math subject like 4U maths. It has been dumbed down so much that it requires much English skill to gain decent marks.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
f3nr15 said:
Physics is bound by nothing and studies on Physics still continue today whereas biology can only expand if there are enough life forms to research and discover.
What??! "If there are enough life forms"? Did you know there are more bacterial cells on your hand than the number of cells in your entire body? And that there are more bacteria in your intestine than the number of people on Earth?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
I was in a hurry when I posted that so sorry that I didn't clarify and justify what I said.

IMHO, Biology is the hardest science because it involves understanding large quanities of information and the questions asked in exams are usually vague or worded with the intention of confusing people to make up for the regurgitation nature of the HSC course.

Also IMHO, I find Chemistry and Physics much easier because I find the concepts much easier to learn. Also the exam questions are pretty much straight-forward.

This is my personal ranking from hardest to easiest: Biology, Chemistry, Phyics.

EDIT:

This is exactly why I find Biology the most difficult. FYI, I'm only average at English.

And don't be fooled by Physics, it's not some super nerdy elitist math subject like 4U maths. It has been dumbed down so much that it requires much English skill to gain decent marks.
Thanks for clarifying.

But this also means that physics, which i will have my first lesson on next week, is going to be a dissapointment.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Survivor39 said:
What??! "If there are enough life forms"? Did you know there are more bacterial cells on your hand than the number of cells in your entire body? And that there are more bacteria in your intestine than the number of people on Earth?
How many types though?

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Physics isn't that bad, it's pretty interesting if you can get your head around the concepts and most of it seems to make sense.

I don't mind the 'English' in it, it means I can pretend I know stuff when it comes to some questions in exams, whereas for the mathematical ones you have to know what it's asking for and the right formalae (and any tricks in the question) especially for questions with 'hence' so you have to get the answer to part one right before you can do the next part.

We also made ice cream with liquid nitrogen and played around with superconductors last year, that was fun. :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
S1M0 said:
Thanks for clarifying.

But this also means that physics, which i will have my first lesson on next week, is going to be a dissapointment.
Don't worry, Physics should still be fun.

dr baby beanie said:
...for questions with 'hence' so you have to get the answer to part one right before you can do the next part.
Are you sure? Cause that doesn't sound fair. Shouldn't they do it the maths way where if you get it wrong in the first part and but your proceedure for the second part is correct then you are still eligble for full marks for the second part.

Sometimes I get really pissed off at how the calculation type questions are awarded such low value in terms of marks.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
S1M0 said:
How many types though?

In the intestine, at least 400 different species and god knows how many strains of bacteria. There are 10^12 organisms per gram of faeces, most of which are unidentified.

And then there is the ocean...

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
If you're in any way mathematically inclined, it's physics all the way.

i hate it how people say biology isn't a proper science - they could well be right in terms of the hsc course (ive never looked much at the bio syllabus) - but as a field of science it is just as vast and limitless as physics.

At the beginning of the 20th century, people were saying we knew all there was to know about physics - but even today with all these subatomic particles we are not fully sure how to explain the basic forces which drive the universe such as magnetism and gravity.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
Are you sure? Cause that doesn't sound fair. Shouldn't they do it the maths way where if you get it wrong in the first part and but your proceedure for the second part is correct then you are still eligble for full marks for the second part.
In the HSC yes. In my class no, unless you want to line up behind 6 other people who state their cases for lost marks, then if it's a 'hence' question you have to debate for 15 mins on why you should get those 'extra' marks and if you win you only ever get 1/2 a mark for every full mark you should have gotten. It does make you slighlty pedantic about not making any mistakes, which could be seen as a pro having this mentality drilled into before you do any HSC exam. However I do know this isn't the way it's done at most (well all) schools.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Survivor39 said:
I meant the number of known lifeforms...

Biology researches all known lifeforms
Physics researches everything and beyond....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)