Biology Stimulus Based/Skills (1 Viewer)

hiiitsme

HSC
Hi All,

As there seems to be quite a healthy bio community on the website I thought it would be a good idea to nail something often overlooked but very integral to bio hsc - skills. If everyone was up for it, maybe we could post exam techniques for bio that will invariably maximize marks if followed. This can include but not limited to: what to look for when responding to a stimulus, multiple choice tips, short/extended answer structure, how to structure your answer when answering pracs e.g microbial testing in food and water, calculation questions etc.

If it sounds dumb then, no problem and dismiss this, but thought it would be good to consolidate some of the things we have been taught indirectly since Year 7.

@Hivaclibtibcharkwa @zizi2003_ @Eagle Mum @stressedadfff @dasfas @[Blank] - just added all from memory if any others notify

stressedadfff

HSC
Hi All,

As there seems to be quite a healthy bio community on the website I thought it would be a good idea to nail something often overlooked but very integral to bio hsc - skills. If everyone was up for it, maybe we could post exam techniques for bio that will invariably maximize marks if followed. This can include but not limited to: what to look for when responding to a stimulus, multiple choice tips, short/extended answer structure, how to structure your answer when answering pracs e.g microbial testing in food and water, calculation questions etc.

If it sounds dumb then, no problem and dismiss this, but thought it would be good to consolidate some of the things we have been taught indirectly since Year 7.

@Hivaclibtibcharkwa @zizi2003_ @Eagle Mum @stressedadfff @dasfas @[Blank] - just added all from memory if any others notify
yeppp i agree!

zizi2003_

HSC
Hi All,

yeah, absolutely !!
bio is pretty much half exam technique after all, with the other half being content knowledge
tbh personally I really dont like answering questions that ask us to design a practical/epidemiological study

hiiitsme

HSC
I have only come across one such question but it was a little different I think. I didn't realize we could be asked to design an epidemiological study. I have this in my notes which kinda goes through I think. Would we have to identify variables also as a normal prac mandates?

zizi2003_

HSC
I have only come across one such question but it was a little different I think. I didn't realize we could be asked to design an epidemiological study. I have this in my notes which kinda goes through I think. Would we have to identify variables also as a normal prac mandates?
the 2019 sample hsc paper + 2003 paper (i think) had a question on designing epidemiological study that was worth 7 marks
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.59.43 am.png
this is a sample answer (so yep, pretty much in accordance to your notes):
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 11.00.25 am.png
and if they ask us to design a practical on the microbial testing of food/water, im sure we'd have to include things like: materials, procedure, variables, risk assessment, results (just the appearance of the agar plates). An aim, hypothesis, conclusion etc are not needed im sure (according to my teacher at least)

Last edited:

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
@hiiitsme, very happy to help in this thread and the broader forum when I am able, but I’ve not looked at the syllabus and therefore am not really sure I can necessarily help with maximisation of marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)