• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Biology Task Need Help (1 Viewer)

Anon4Real

HSC
Analyse how technological advances have changed scientific thinking about evolution using examples

Can anyone help me out?

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well wat have you got so far???

i havnt done the topic yet, but i'm guessing you could use amino acid sequencing provides evolutionary relationships etc etc sorry i'm not much help =[[

Anon4Real

HSC
Well for examples I have things like dna sequencing, dna-dna hybridisation and what you said

But I don't know what to write for "how technological advances have changed scientific thinking about evolution" in sentance form

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
Well for examples I have things like dna sequencing, dna-dna hybridisation and what you said

But I don't know what to write for "how technological advances have changed scientific thinking about evolution" in sentance form

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i guess you got a bit of a problem then lol

well like how big is it meant to be?????????

Anon4Real

HSC
Not very long, like a paragraph or two. I really should stop doing tasks at the last second lol

jet

Banned
HSC
How about the invention of the microscope.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well have you thought about putting it in a table if you cant write it in sentences

bio looooooooooooooooooooooves the tables lol

Anon4Real

HSC
Alright thanks you guys for the help, I'm on the last question now

What is the historical development of the theories of evolution and what was the social and politcal influences on the development?

Any ideas? I'm stumped

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

What is the historical development of the theories of evolution and what was the social and politcal influences on the development?

Any ideas? I'm stumped

social influences, MASSIVE DARWIN/WALLACE alarm going off there

Tsyei

HSC
For your original question:

From what I remember, my teacher mentioned that people used to base evolutionary relationships on the anatomy of animals. However, with the development of DNA hybridisation and such, we can revise these relationships.

For example, we used to think that lizards and crocodiles were more closely related to each other than with birds. Now though, we know that crocodiles are more related to birds than lizards (I think that's right, but my memory is pretty screwy and I didn't write it down Oo You might want to check up on this example).

Last edited:

Anon4Real

HSC

Any ideas? I'm stumped
What do they mean by "Historical development of the theories..."?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
The discovery of DNA and protien sequencing provides an independent branch of evidence in support of evolution.

By comparing the same protien which is found in all living forms a branching diagram could be formed independantly of physical characterists, and fossil record.

This method also reveals interesting relationships in some branches of animals. For example it show that whales and dolphins are more closely related to cows, camels and pigs than horses, elephants and sea cows.
Here's a few links
BBC News | Sci/Tech | Hippo is whale's cousin

Sequences and Common Descent - Page by Wesley R. Elsberry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)