Biology texts... (1 Viewer)

asn_princess

hi,
would anyone be able to recommend any good sources for the biology syllabus. currently im using the heineman version, but i prefer to have more sources....

thanks

mannnnndy

chocoholic
The excel book for bio is quite good because it follows the syllabus exactly and is easy to understand. Spotlight Biology was alright for the Human Story (I only used it for that topic so I dont know how the rest is), but it goes into a lot of detail sometimes. I used Heinman as well and I think it is a good book.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah the hi text is the best one on the market. it was made specifically to follow the syllabus.

ellipsis

HSC
yeah, Heinemann is cool, everyone I know uses that one anyway.

They have a website http://www.hi.com.au/biol/ where you can see what bits to cut out because of the new syllabus, so its all up to date and good. Also has the options on it too.

Leap

free falling
HSC
The Warringal books are good, too. They have a seperate book for each core topic - I dunno if they have the option topics though. They follow the syllabus exactly and have most of the practical stuff as well as the theory.

Akira_Tikira

Hi
Seriosuly I believe you got it all wrong. Hi has like the whole course squashed in a book usually made for one years. Its really not enough if you want to get a band six answer.
Why don't u guys find the Jacranda Book Wiley& Son
And the surfing is a ripper, covers everything in great details, and for once the books have proper discuss/acess answers.
The last one is Biology in context, thats pretty nice but not as good as the first two.

Excel is Crap, only good for lazy people who can't bothered reading the book and are looking for summaries. You cannot do well in biology by just reading summaries, I believe you need to read the whole thing and synthesis the information.

Goodluck everyone in your half-yearly, usually they are easy.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i agree Akira_Tikira. the excel is too brief.
the surfing books r really good too... overall the surfing books r excellent across all the sciences.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah i agree Akira_Tikira. the excel is too brief.
the surfing books r really good too... overall the surfing books r excellent across all the sciences.
Excel is brief, but thats what makes it a great book for studying from (provided you know all the concepts behind the summaries). I know I said this b4, but it follows the syllabus exactly and doesnt go off in a tangent like quite a lot of the fatter books do. I think excel need to pay me for endorsing their books:p

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i use the excel books for last week study and stuff... yeah its pretty cool but i use the 'fat books' for skool n stuff...

the study in a month book is good too. gives u all the core stuff and details u need to know. good for last LAST minute study the day or day b4 the exams

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I used to Excel book mainly, and used the Heinemann book for extra info/clarification. And it worked out fine. Most of the Excel books are rubbish, but the bio one really is good. Yeah, it's brief-but thats mostly cos theres no padding-you know that everything in there you really need to know, whereas a lot of the Heinemann book is unecessary. The way I see it-theres no use reading a really intricate book and learning a bunch of stuff they're not gonna ask you. (But I'd do exta readings on certain parts though-like experiments and scientists and all that sorta stuff.)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
true. excel is too brief.. but its good for quickly checking up info on specific dot points i used excel in year 11 for like "jump-starting' my assessments--which meant finding out what i had to do for the asst!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)