biomed engineering / advanced science (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Anybody doing either of these of both degrees combined? What are your impressions and what advice would you give in regards to the course?

^___^
HSC
wats advance science?? is there difference between B science and advance science?

does it require high UAI as well?

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
lol the only difference is the word 'advanced' and an ongoing burden to achieve a credit avarage or get droped down to science. both degrees get the same title B Sc.

routemarker

HSC
Well there are slight differnces like a slightly larger choice in majors and the obligation to do (adv) courses. If you do get a UAI sufficient for adv sci put it into better use and go with com/sci most adv sci students regert geting in adv sci realising that it is very similar to the 80 UAI BSc.

^___^
HSC
coz i wanted to do advance science but i ain't gonna get the uai for it...so i'm thinking something on the line of B Science/B Arts...

but can i get transfer after 1yr?? or is it impossible?

routemarker

HSC
well i have afriend doing adv sci and now hes planning to do com/sci realising that i am doing very similar subjects to him. unless you want to major in medical physics or medical chemistry you may as well do BSc or if your UAI is large enough combine it with another degree.

^___^
HSC
oh, so ur saying do B science but only do advance science if u want it in medical field or ur combining it with another degree?

routemarker

HSC
no do adv sci only if you want to major in an area reserved for adv sci students like medical physics and medical chemistry. but if you do get 96 its best to go for a combined degree with BSc rather than going for adv sci.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
but wouldnt the bsc advanced look better on your academic transcript? the only disadvantage of doing it i guess would be your ongoing onus to acheive a distinction average...other wise I dont see how it could be THAT bad...could you please care to clarify routemarker?

pri

HSC
N/A
d avg require a bit of work...heck getting a d requires a bit of work as u should know inasero :p !!

if ur prepared for that much work over 4 subs, and remember they wont be thaaat easy in adv science then go for it...

incidently Im considering adv science too, is anyone in these forums doing it?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Isn't it a credit average to stay in adv. science? I'm doin' it. :p Otherwise, I shouldn't see so many people in my classes.

It really doesn't matter as much whether you're in adv. or normal. You can still do advanced courses in normal science.
But, in advanced units... You also get the option to do special stuff (if you like the subject, you'll enjoy it).
Otherwise, there's the associate bonus of knowing friends who can help you plus some scaling in certain subjects. ;)

This especially goes for labs. People in advanced streams will be more inclined to stay and contribute to group instead of buggering off at the first opportunity (hint, hint.)

---
But, coming back... I'd say combine the two, as you can still have your advanced stuff.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah pri... :( i worked extra hard and was expecting a hd or something...but then again its not my theory which let me down in that instance, but certain wording and also the logical flow of the report was virtually nonexistent...so at the end of the day it was manner, and not matter which stuffed me up which is okay since i was never an englishy type of person...

anyhows i was considering doing advanced science next year at usyd...that is if i dont get into any of the 5 unis I've applied to for med...so theres a very real possibility i may see u there pri :)

routemarker

HSC
Originally posted by inasero
but wouldnt the bsc advanced look better on your academic transcript? the only disadvantage of doing it i guess would be your ongoing onus to acheive a distinction average...other wise I dont see how it could be THAT bad...could you please care to clarify routemarker?
well nothing is really stoping you from obtaining high marks or doing adv subjects but all im saying is adv sci is a waste of a degree that you should consider doing a combined degree with com or arts with normal sci and if your uai is high enough they would encourage you to take adv courses or even TSP.

The aim of adv sci is to get the high range of ppl that would do normal sci but make them commit to study adv courses. Doing normal sci providing you have the requirements for adv courses (applicable to all students ie 95+ UAI and band 6 in the HSC subject) allows you to do them but if suddenly the pressure is getting to you you can drop your adv courses in youre normal sci degree (and you will be have another degree to fall back on). But id you do adv sci and you fail then you will have to drop to normal sci and thet would be a big waste of a 96 UAI.

to put it more simple a 96 UAI can buy you adv sci or sci/com,arts eng so im sure you can make the wise choice:D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
as i mentioned in the post im interested in biomed/advanced science....but as the faculty of science and engo both said there is too much overlap for biomed/medical science, hence not much point doing it, that i should consider other options such as advanced science/engineering(chemical bioprocesses) (hahah as if), or advanced science/medical science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)