• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BIOS1201 - dif between cyano and bacteria? (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hiya everyone,

>< Not sure if anyone's doing BIOS1201 round here, but you know for identifying Prokaryotes --> Bacterial cell or Cyanobacterial...what's the main difference between these two? [Like microscopically]

Cos, most people who did Part 5, weren't too sure as to how to identify between the two. Googling ain't helping alot, since cyanobacteria is classified as bacterial cell...which is a um...significant problem :bomb:

XD Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out with this...

Regards,

rek

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
argh. perhaps I didn't explained it clearly. Here I go again:

- Cyanobacteria looks like a string of cells (examine under light microscopy)
- Most other bacteria are single-celled

- Cyanobacteria form what is known as heterocysts to fix atmospheric Nitrogen. They are the bigger cells along the "string of cells". The ratio is about 1 heterocyst per 5 or 6 normal cells.

- They look green because they have chloroplasts and use aerobic respiration. (most bacteria don't).

- Cyanobacteria have weird-looking chloroplasts unlike that of plants, because they are spiral and run across the cell.

Bascially that's pretty much what you'll get out of the microscope. I hope this helps.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The heterocysts are like bubble shaped cells. (just adding some more help :p)

Rekkusu

HSC
Thank you so much everyone for the help!!

Yup! The heterocysts so looked like bubbles, haha cos our group got a cyanobacteria as the unknown cell, so thx for the clarification sikeveo!

*Also thx survivor for posting it up again :p It really really helped for today's lab. Because the yellow 'lab manual' we got, was just so vague, in fact some of it contradicted with what our demonstrator stated, so when my group-mate pointed it out to her, she was like, Oh, is that so...I'll double-check soon.

Rekkusu

HSC
hahah cool!!! Wish I got that as well :p I got a Cyanobacteria! [though it was contaminated with other forms of bacteria lol, and like my whole group wanted to get a unknown specimen which looked green.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)