• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BIOS1201 lab work (1 Viewer)

mashimaro1987

HSC
is anyone as lost as i am cos' i have no idea what i'm doing (looking at the microscope) Anyway, does any one know how to get started in the identifying unknown cell flowchart?

rama_v

HSC
mashimaro1987 said:
is anyone as lost as i am cos' i have no idea what i'm doing (looking at the microscope) Anyway, does any one know how to get started in the identifying unknown cell flowchart?
If you have trouble try posting in your lab discussions forum on web ct. Thats the first place to start :)

Well for the unknown cell flowchart, just go through and write done what stain identifies what, and research and write down the differences between procaryotes and eucaryotes. Then, as a group, figure out a logical process that would enable you to spearate a procaryote from a eucaryote. (Its quite easy if u first have the background info, at least in theory).

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yeah, I believe the easier way would be to identify what the stains do...

Though I'm clueless as to what we need to identify with Eukaryotic cells, cos in the e.g. it says Cyanobacterial or Bacterial...but the thing is, Cyanobacterial is bacterial!!

So what is bacterial? Is it supposed to be non-cyanobacterial? I asked my lab partners, and we were kind of clueless..and assumed things.

Best thing is to ask on webct, with your labgroup discussion, if he/she does not reply to it...then ask on Main inquiry at BIOS1201 webct.

G

Gavvvvvin

The cells under the microscope dont look like what they do in the etxtbook :eek: It just looks like a big bunch of blurry crap to me :eek:

rama_v

HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
The cells under the microscope dont look like what they do in the etxtbook :eek: It just looks like a big bunch of blurry crap to me :eek:
Don't worry. We are all in the same position :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What are you guys on about??!

A Cyanobacteria is a type of bacteria. You can identify most bacteria using the Gram Stain.

Usually, you just look at prokaryotic cells under the microscope and they will be very, vey small. You will need the 40 x objectives (oil immersion) to see individual cells.

Eukaryotes are much larger so you will be able to see them swimming around under 20 x objectives, possibly with phase contrast microscope.

G

Gavvvvvin

So how many steps are we supposed to have in our flowchart? Can you just get away with having two steps, first determining whether the cell has a nucleus to distinguish between prokaryote and eukaryote, then identify an organelle unique to either an animal or plant cell?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I guess you can. How are you going to identify the nucleus and organelles in eukaryote?

I never did any flowchart in 1201.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)