Bit lost with studying 😕 (1 Viewer)

Yusra366

HSC
Hey guys, so I made a timetable on Sunday for HSC studying and I was going accordingly to it on Monday but because, yesterday, I got my second dose I was feeling tired and drained all day yesterday so I wasn't able to complete yesterdays tasks, except for doing a Maths Past paper. Even today I am feeling tired and feel like I won't be able to do anything. What I have on my timetable is to finish memorising my content for all my subjects by Week 1 of Term 4 on Friday and then I will have the weekend and the 5 weeks after that to just do Past Papers. As advised by my bio teacher, I am aiming to memorise an inquiry question each day for each module and also memorise content for another subject each day as well. Though, because of my vaccination, yesterdays and todays day got affected so now I am concerned that I won't complete my tasks in time that I want them to be finished by, and also what is demotivating me is the fact that I have to memorise a whole lot of content again and I can't bring myself to just sit down and start doing it. Then when I don't do what I am supposed to do on the day, I get worried because I realise that this is the HSC I am studying for and I should be serious but then I just can't bring myself to. Maybe I have just been burnt out from trials, especially because we had more than a month to study for them. I guess I am just stressed on how to sort myself out and how I am going to memorise all the content in time and would just appreciate some guidance on what I should do? Also would 5 weeks of past papers be enough?

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
lol i'm literally procrastinating studying bio too while replying to this post

i would say its important to plan buffer time for anything unexpected that might interrupt ur plans. getting side effects from the vaccine is a totally okay reason to take a rain check on your study plans, but you have to put a plan in place that ensures that you'll be able to get back on track even after taking a sick day. one IQ a day seems pretty intense (or maybe i'm being too chill) and you might burn out, especially having to study for all your other subjects too. i'm doing half an IQ a day (also just started today), which i'm pretty confident will be enough to finish all content in time since hscs are 7 weeks away and bio is 9 weeks away. and 5 weeks past paper runway seems pretty decent to me!

dont worry all of us bio kids are totally struggling with content too and we feel u. you got this!!!

dasfas

HSC
Don't make prospective timetables, it's a waste of time as nobody sticks to it.

What you should do is have an idea of what you want to achieve each day, and plan out your day when you wake up in the morning depending on how you're feeling.

Yusra366

HSC
lol i'm literally procrastinating studying bio too while replying to this post

i would say its important to plan buffer time for anything unexpected that might interrupt ur plans. getting side effects from the vaccine is a totally okay reason to take a rain check on your study plans, but you have to put a plan in place that ensures that you'll be able to get back on track even after taking a sick day. one IQ a day seems pretty intense (or maybe i'm being too chill) and you might burn out, especially having to study for all your other subjects too. i'm doing half an IQ a day (also just started today), which i'm pretty confident will be enough to finish all content in time since hscs are 7 weeks away and bio is 9 weeks away. and 5 weeks past paper runway seems pretty decent to me!

dont worry all of us bio kids are totally struggling with content too and we feel u. you got this!!!
That's absolutely true. I found this really helpful and comforting. Feels like I know how to get myself back on track again. Thank you!
Hahaha yh bio is absolute struggle 😭

Yusra366

HSC
Don't make prospective timetables, it's a waste of time as nobody sticks to it.

What you should do is have an idea of what you want to achieve each day, and plan out your day when you wake up in the morning depending on how you're feeling.
Yh lot's of people told me this same advise and I think I should start doing what you suggested. Will mostly work better. Thank you

mannxv

HSC
prospective study time tables r so sad bc i'm intentionally not following them but subconsciously in agony for not doing any work. but y'all we got this ! i'm rewriting my study notes into much more refined format + info i missed from bio trials, like examples. and rote learning, mindmaps r a great study medium !! and u can do them closed/open book for study.

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
prospective study time tables r so sad bc i'm intentionally not following them but subconsciously in agony for not doing any work. but y'all we got this ! i'm rewriting my study notes into much more refined format + info i missed from bio trials, like examples. and rote learning, mindmaps r a great study medium !! and u can do them closed/open book for study.
open book exams for study is actually such a good idea ! I always get worried that I wont finish memorising content early enough to have a decent past paper runway but this might actually work wow

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, so I made a timetable on Sunday for HSC studying and I was going accordingly to it on Monday but because, yesterday, I got my second dose I was feeling tired and drained all day yesterday so I wasn't able to complete yesterdays tasks, except for doing a Maths Past paper. Even today I am feeling tired and feel like I won't be able to do anything. What I have on my timetable is to finish memorising my content for all my subjects by Week 1 of Term 4 on Friday and then I will have the weekend and the 5 weeks after that to just do Past Papers. As advised by my bio teacher, I am aiming to memorise an inquiry question each day for each module and also memorise content for another subject each day as well. Though, because of my vaccination, yesterdays and todays day got affected so now I am concerned that I won't complete my tasks in time that I want them to be finished by, and also what is demotivating me is the fact that I have to memorise a whole lot of content again and I can't bring myself to just sit down and start doing it. Then when I don't do what I am supposed to do on the day, I get worried because I realise that this is the HSC I am studying for and I should be serious but then I just can't bring myself to. Maybe I have just been burnt out from trials, especially because we had more than a month to study for them. I guess I am just stressed on how to sort myself out and how I am going to memorise all the content in time and would just appreciate some guidance on what I should do? Also would 5 weeks of past papers be enough?
5 weeks of papers is more than enough, I think I had a timetable as well for 4-5 weeks-ish as well but did not stick to it (because I ambitiously planned to do 3 papers a day = 8 hrs). I think as long as you understand the content it should be fine, since I personally think content was more important than papers for biology when I studied it. Knowing the content in depth helps answer any question, even curveballs. BUTTTT I do think papers are very important too, which you can just ask your teacher to mark your answers or swap with a friend and peer mark each other's answers

Yusra366

HSC
Yh thats exactly the same issue as mine. Thank you for those suggestions, will be sure to try them out

Yusra366

HSC
open book exams for study is actually such a good idea ! I always get worried that I wont finish memorising content early enough to have a decent past paper runway but this might actually work wow
That's what I was considering doing too but HSC will be closed book so how will that work out?

mannxv

HSC
That's what I was considering doing too but HSC will be closed book so how will that work out?
no, you only do it partially for the given time you have to study. closer to the hsc you should be able to answer questions closed book without any notes. open book mind maps / exams are just to consolidate your knowledge and take a refresher !

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
i mean i was thinking open book only for content I havent memorised yet.

so for example by the time its 4 weeks to hsc i'll want to start on papers, but I'll probably still be halfway through memorising mod 8. so I'll do the papers with my mod 8 notes up, until I've finished memorising the whole syllabus and leave ~2 weeks to do papers completely closed book

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
no, you only do it partially for the given time you have to study. closer to the hsc you should be able to answer questions closed book without any notes. open book mind maps / exams are just to consolidate your knowledge and take a refresher !
yes and practice exam technique which is pretty important for bio

Yusra366

HSC
i mean i was thinking open book only for content I havent memorised yet.

so for example by the time its 4 weeks to hsc i'll want to start on papers, but I'll probably still be halfway through memorising mod 8. so I'll do the papers with my mod 8 notes up, until I've finished memorising the whole syllabus and leave ~2 weeks to do papers completely closed book
Oh that makes sense but the thing with me is that I was planning to have my content memorised in 3 weeks time from the beginning of this week but I am still not going accordingly to my timetable. All my teachers have also mentioned to start memorising content first then do papers. Idk would there be an easier way to it? Like so your planning to have your content memorised by week 3 of term 4 while doing open book papers because that way your consolidating your knowledge as well and then you are going to leave 2 weeks to just do closed book papers?

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
Oh that makes sense but the thing with me is that I was planning to have my content memorised in 3 weeks time from the beginning of this week but I am still not going accordingly to my timetable. All my teachers have also mentioned to start memorising content first then do papers. Idk would there be an easier way to it? Like so your planning to have your content memorised by week 3 of term 4 while doing open book papers because that way your consolidating your knowledge as well and then you are going to leave 2 weeks to just do closed book papers?
yeah as mannxv mentioned you can start doing papers even before you've memorised content by doing them open book. especially if you're feeling behind, its a good way to still keep to your current goal of starting papers 5 weeks before rather than pushing it back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)