• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bitchy superiors and what to do about them? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I got a job at a pharmacy during the July holidays, and the retail manager is a real bitch. I admit, I called her Jxxxx instead of Jyyyyy in a hurry because I didn't see her nametag properly and I hadn't been introduced to her before (it was my first training day) and there was a massive line of customers waiting to be served and she was the only person in sight. So that wasn't a good start.

Secondly, I also (stupidly) said, upon someone else demonstrating a particular function on the till to me that she hadn't demonstrated, I said, "oh, Jyyyy didn't tell me that!" and I'm not sure if they would've talked to her because they are rostered on completely different days with no overlap, but they might've taken it the wrong way and told her.

So, apart from my blatant stupidity, I also rung up to say that I had not been paid properly, and the reason given was that she didn't know that Sunday had higher rates than Saturdays (I was called in on a Sunday because someone was so sick she couldn't finish her shift), and that she would talk to management and I would get backpaid, which I was.

But, I don't know if I should regret having demanded my correct pay because I told her that I couldn't do Saturday 25th August as I was involved with USYD open day for my other job, so could I please be rostered onto another day that week? I wasn't rostered on and so I thought she would sure roster me back onto my regular shift for next Saturday, which she hasn't, which makes me think that, maybe, if I hadn't demanded my correct pay, she would roster me on for next week? I don't know, it sounds stupid writing this down, but I think she deliberately didn't roster me on (and therefore am letting me go) AND didn't pay me correctly BECAUSE of what I "did"to her earlier, but then again, coincidence goes that maybe she really didn't know that Sunday rates are higher and she didn't roster me on for next Saturday because she doesn't know whether I can make it from now on.

Oh, and I should mention, that, as she's the retail manager, I can't actually talk to the pharmacist as such and it's such a sticky situation because I only got the job because my friend works there, and I don't want to get my friend into trouble or anything.

So, should I have regretted demanding my correct pay, and I've also got a mind to phone up tomorrow and ask whether I can be rostered back on for two Saturdays from now, but I don't want to appear desperate? (which, I should mention, I am but I don't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing I'm desperate)

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, it's Blooms Chemist. Frigid, I'm quite prepared to live with it because I don't need the money but I need the experience. I'm just wondering whether I should regret having demanded the correct pay? And yes, I will definitely be ringing up tomorrow.

CieL

HSC
No. There is nothing wrong with you demanding the correct pay.
It's your right to get paid correctly for the work, time and effort you spend at the Chemist.

Your manager's full of bullshit about now knowing Sunday = higher rates. I'm sure she gets higher rates on Sunday herself.

If you're in it just for the experience....... wait, what kind of experience? You're the cashier aren't you? I wouldn't really care if that was all I did.. even if I worked once a week, and I was there for a year.. I'd still put that down on my resume..

My nub manager is totally crap at rostering. She's only done it for a few months, but yeah.. she treats me like total crap too.. my old manager used to give me godly shifts.. but this bitch, has left me out of the roster completely next week.. the FIRST time that's ever happened to me since I've worked there.. not to mention I'm hardly getting more than one shift a week.. and I haven't worked a Sunday since she started working here..

She doesn't respect me.. as in, she doesn't give me the shifts and the hours.. and randomly calls me up 15mins before she wants me and expects me to work for her.. as I am also a supervisor.. I can open and close a store.. so she calls me up on friday and asks if I can work 5:30am opens on sat for a 4hr shift.. WTF.. I'm not waking up at 4am to work 4hrs! Are you stupid?!

My old manager was the bomb. He'd give me very good hours and I'd always ALWAYS get a decent sunday shift. That's because he thought good workers deserved Sunday shifts as a reward. If he called me up for an opening shift, he'd make sure it'd be my favourite hours.. 8.5hr shift [and I'd do it for him because he respects me, gives me what I want, so I return the favour].. so I'd finish around lunch time and have the rest of the day to do whatever I want.. instead of finishing at 9:30am when no-one's awake to do anything with me lol..

Whoops.. this has ended up being a rant about myself.. but yeah, your rostering problems has just sparked anger with mine..

And with the till thing.. who cares what you say.. it's her fault for not fully training you to operate the till..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
no, you deserve the correct pay.

however, when dealing with 'difficult' people, be diplomatic. serve their interests so they may serve yours. then, when they've outlived their usefulness, kick their ass. =]

lexie85

HSC
no u shouldnt regret asking for the correct pay and just call up n ask for the saturday shift, who cares if u look desperate, most employers call that 'enthusiasm'

iamsickofyear12

HSC
My 'manager' has been acting like a jerk lately. It's only a matter of time until I tell him to fuck off...good thing he has no power to do anything about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)