Bolshevik Ideologies (1 Viewer)

butterflys13

HSC
I'm doing an assignment on the ideological development of the Bolshevik ideologies yet I'm having considerable dificulty in actually pinpointing their exact initial beliefs in 1917.

I know all the stuff about Lenin-Marxism but how exactly did they think that the government should be run etc?

Thanks so much

gsweeper

HSC
Correct me if I am wrong, but in 1917, it was more Marxism rather than Leninism-Marxism. Leninism-Marxism is what Stalin described as the Soviet Union's political ideology after he came into power. Trotskyists see Leninism-Marxism as somewhat of a contradicting theory to original Marxism. So in 1917, the Bolsheviks, although influenced by Lenin's ideas, were more of a fundamentalist Marxist party, because at that point Marxism was the main theory. They believed in organising a centralised party to overthrow the Tsar, which they obviously did. Now the main difference between fundamentalist Marxism and Lenin's theory is the implementation of a Vanguard party to lead the proletariat into a revolution. Marx argued that the people would achieve this on their own, however Lenin chose to go the opposite way, and create a Vanguard Party, led by intellectuals rather than the proletariat. In terms of what they actually believed in 1917, you will have to look at the leaders of the party, rather than a singular Bolshevik ideology. At that point the Bolsheviks had some what merged with the Mensheviks, and you could assume that their ideologies would have some what merged also. So to see what they believed, look at what Lenin, Trotsky, Kamanev and Zinoviev etc. believed in.

Haha, sorry if i'm rambled on there, i hope this helps.
There is just so many different points of view from what I am currently reading. I suggest the book "Comrades - Communism: A World History" by Robert Service, it has a very in depth analysis of the development of Communism

HSC
No...I'm p sure 1917 was characterised by Leninism-Marxism. It was the year of the Bolshevik revolution, later followed by the Civil War. The Bolsheviks ceased power.

gsweeper

HSC
No...I'm p sure 1917 was characterised by Leninism-Marxism. It was the year of the Bolshevik revolution, later followed by the Civil War. The Bolsheviks ceased power.
Yeah, I had an argument with my modern teacher about how what it would be interpreted as, but I personally would see 1917 to be Bolshevik-Leninisim, because Stalin dramatically changed many policies and shifted dramatically away from pure Marxism, and he called himself a Marxist-Leninist, the books i have read have referred to 1917 as both Marxist-Leninist, and Bolshevik-Leninist.....

MissAmazing

HSC
Lenin did get his theories from Marx, but in 1917 he mixed his own ideologies with Marx's, thus lenin-marxism. what he wanted was a highly cetralised government, each member having little or no say in what went on. because lenin's goverment was mainly supported by the lower class society of russia, there was a substantial dislike towards the tsar. what this means, lenin wanted to overthrow the tsar, with a highly centralised government - similar to the concept of communism. he wanted to withdraw russia from the war, and give russia peace, land and bread. his party were radicals, right until stalin. you're on the right track by studying lenin-marxism :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)