bonded, csp, full-fee paying (1 Viewer)

joon8483

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, im currently doing 1st year of bsci to upgrade my GPA so that i can get an interview to gain entry to medicine.

im bit confused with full-fee, bonded, CSP

I know that, full-fee and bonded have lower cut-off points than CSP but with smaller quota.

so if you do have the money or the commitment to go for full-fee or bonded option,

would it be logical to put full-fee paying as a 1st preference and then CSP? (When you put your preference in QTAC, UAC etc.. )

and also,

if i put a medical school as my second choice, then will they consider me after they considered all the students who put them as their 1st preference?

thank you in advance

bubbly89

HSC
What you have to understand is that with full fee, CSP and bonded, they all have the same selection criteria, you have to go through the same process. Its only when they're actually giving out places at the end that they differentiate the places between each other. Its not like if you say you're interested in full fee you have a better chance of having an interview.

Secondly universities are out to get the best students they can, they take the people with the highest preference who expressed ANY interest at all in having a place. Someone who has higher marks will always get the bonded place preferenced last then someone who preferenced it as number one but with lower marks.

if i put a medical school as my second choice, then will they consider me after they considered all the students who put them as their 1st preference

No, the medical schools give out places according to their criteria. Once they make their criteria they make a long list, they then give that list to UAC, and UAC distributes the places according to your preferences. No one sees your preferences except for a giant computer, the universities have no access to that machine due to privacy laws. Person higher up on the list will get the place.

Some people get confused because they sometimes ask in the interview what your preferences are, but there is nothing stopping you from lying about them, they only ask as a way of seeing if you've really thought the idea through, not if you have any loyalties.

To be honest the universities don't really care, there was this poster last year who got into USyd and UWS rang her up and said that even though UWS wasn't her first choice, that if she still wanted it, she could have UWS. Ie sucking up to the max. I would not worry about it.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
If my information is correct, students who are on full-fee places are taken care of purely by the university i.e. you are paying the money directly to them. As such, there is no guarantee that you will get an internship upon graduation (since the government has no ties with you). On the other hand, with CSP places you are guaranteed an intern place somewhere or other. So it does not make ANY sense to put full fee above csp. (Provided that my sources are correct).

As for whether to put bonded above normal (unbonded) CSP... whatever floats your boat - but if you don't get a bonded place, you are extremely unlikely to get a normal CSP place. Also, I would think carefully before making a commitment to a bonded place. Things change in your life. Quickly. And 5 or 6 years is a long time. Very long.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Yeah. You are committed to an "area of workforce shortage" for a period of time equal to the length of your uni degree. You CAN choose where you go and who knows where will be a district of workforce shortage once you graduate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)