• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bookshop resume (2 Viewers)

Spookyda

HSC
Dymocks is giving me the opportunity to work and told me to give in my resume...the only problem is, i dont know what to include in it cause i havent had much experience and i dont know whether to put that im passionate about books and stuff.

any ideas for what to include?

eg. objective, hobbies, education.etc

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Treat Dymocks like any other retail store. They really don't care if you have a passion for books - they care if you have experience in retail.

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Treat Dymocks like any other retail store. They really don't care if you have a passion for books - they care if you have experience in retail.
+1.

Although if you are passionate or whatever about books, it can't hurt to throw that in somewhere, like maybe in your cover letter or something. Don't lie to them but.

HSC
that's not entirely true. people come in every day asking for recommendations, so you do need to have some sort of enthusiasm for books.

anyway, when a manager looks at your resume, they're trying to ascertain whether you're suitable for the position. your past experience is the most relevant point, they couldn't really give a toss about whether you like to skateboard, so don't bother listing your hobbies, and if you do, leave it to the last page. referees are obviously important too, you might also want to put down your availability. when it comes to intention, try not to mention if you only want a job for a little while - they're putting time into training you and won't bother hiring if you're only planning to be there for a couple of months.

also, try to make your resume stand out. for example a past co-worker of mine had 'AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE START' at the top of her resume in bright red. you could also get it spiral bound at somewhere like officeworks fairly cheaply, it looks a lot more sophisticated than the dime-a-dozen stapled-together pieces of paper, and also has a degree of seriousness/effort about it.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
that's not entirely true. people come in every day asking for recommendations, so you do need to have some sort of enthusiasm for books. it may not be necessary for actually getting the job, but in practice it is pretty important.
I was more talking about hiring. Only the independents really care if their staff have knowledge about/are passionate about books (or for say Galaxy, passionate for the genre).

HSC
I was more talking about hiring. ).
yeah i know, that's why i said "it may not be necessary for actually getting the job".

Kwayera said:
Only the independents really care if their staff have knowledge about/are passionate about books (or for say Galaxy, passionate for the genre.
i disagree. if you work at dymocks you'll be mystery shopped (meaning you'll have to recommend things for often weird requests - i.e. our last mystery shopper wanted a novel that was a romance specifically for men). it is important if your franchise owner takes stock in mystery shopper reports (but if you're applying for somewhere like george st, the odds that it'll be you personally are slim). also, it's important so you don't come off as incompetent/lazy.

sorry if that sounded like a rant, it's just that i put a decent amount of effort into being knowledgeable, so it irritates me when people think that because i work for a major chain don't have knowledge of books.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)