• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BR and BNW essay question (1 Viewer)

Medium143

HSC
Hello everyone,

Recently we were given an assesment task to compare the two texts, namely Brave New World and Blade Runner. In the question it asks us to explore the relatonship between the natural world and humans.

Now, normally I would be able to get started on this - but this time I have so many ideas swirling around in my mind, and I can't seem to decide on one definite approach.

So I thought I would ask everyone on here, what do you each think is the best idea to write about? Plus any suggestions on how to set it out/ or what to discuss would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

M.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
For Blade runner u could use the opening scene which shows Scotts fears for the future relationship between mankind and the natural world. u could mention the graphical devices that Scott uses to show doom and decay, where he warns that by neglecting nature severs humanity's connection to it. (e.g. acid rain, pollution, exploding fireballs)

In BNW, nature is suppressed and ignored as it is of no use to the state. u could mention that society is conditioned to hypnopaedia where ppl are forced to 'hate the country...but...to love country sports'. and this is forced upon children through neo pavlovian conditioning where they grow to hate things such as flowers. so this forced hatred means that society is not allowed to interact with the environment

Medium143

HSC
Thankyou very much for your help Dark Phoenix, I truly appreciate it.

=)

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
I have this same essay question!
I think I am going to agree that Bladerunner is more conerned with humanity's relationship with the natural world..... because it is mostly focused on the environment, wheras BNW focuses more on the loss of naural humanity....arrgh ok it makes sense to me but I don't know if anyone else will get that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)