Braggs Experiment (1 Viewer)

insane_laughter

Alright,
I have a physics test tomorow (31 july) on Ideas to Implementation and i need to know everything about Braggs Experiment. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated as i need the info as soon as possible.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
there are quite a few thread about this in this forum, some quite detailed, so u can prolly search em out...

in short... braggs (jnr/snr) eas able to use x-ray diffraction and the resulting interference pattern to find the structure of crystal lattices. they did this by finding the angle which gives max. constructive interference and applying trigonametry he was able to derive the formular 2dsintheta = n(lamda) where d is teh distance btween the lattice layers.

a lot of the text books have a good diagram explaining this, though noting that the x-ray diffraction behaves much likes reflection.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
1. braggs used x-ray crystallography as a probe to study crystal structure.
2. x-rays were shone onto a crystal and reflected rays were caught on the photgraphic plate.
3. rays were reflected from adjacent atomic planes in the lattice and an interference pattern formed.
4. on analysing the interference pattern braggs worked out
n(pie) = 2dsin(theta)

u shud know his results and y he used xrayz ans a diagram to get full marks...

gud luck!!!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
it should b n(lamda) shouldnt it? where lamda is the wavelength of the x-ray, coz together, thats the difference between the distance of the paths of the 2 rays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)