Brave New World/Blade Runner - HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

jon117

G'day

I was wondering if anyone is able to help with an essay I have on the topic "Everything Old is New Again" based upon Blade Runner and Brave New World. I was wondering whether anyone could even give me a starting point as it is one of the worst essay topics i have ever seen.
Cheers
Jon

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by jon117
G'day

I was wondering if anyone is able to help with an essay I have on the topic "Everything Old is New Again" based upon Blade Runner and Brave New World. I was wondering whether anyone could even give me a starting point as it is one of the worst essay topics i have ever seen.
Cheers
Jon
that's a pretty vague and way too open question.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
that question to too open... narrow it down and be more specific.. i think thats y ur probably having trouble

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
How long is the essay? They shouldn't be too mean at the start of the year... but if it's a nice lengthy task you should probably pick out some major bits of either text and go into depth, rather than spreading yourself thinly across both texts.

jon117

That is the exact essay topic and it is an open book assessment in a week or so. It is claimed the essay should be around 800-1000 words.

Does anyone know of maybe a short essay plan for something like this.

I havent really got an arguement or anything and that is why i am turning to help
cheers

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Brainstorm (I HATE THAT WORD) :chainsaw:

I mean, write down all the aspects of 'old is new again' that you can think of from either text. Just to get you started.. in BR there's the retro-fication of the city... the clothes, the architecture, the machinery... and I've forgotten BNW, might have to dust up on that :p

I don't quite understand your assessment task though... is that the actual question you'll get or will you get another one when you sit the exam? If it's open book, have quotes, literary/film techniques, and a basic outline of what you're writing... I guess you know that already.

I'm still confused. :p

jon117

We know the question and it is open book.

The actual essay topic is "When Everything Old is New Again" and it says to discuss the issues which are involved when interacting with a text outside the context in which it was composed with reference to both texts studied (BNW, BR).

The help i need is identifying the key issues as i am terrible at english but want to do well.

1 more

fructis
HSC
It seems that your teachers are feeding off the hsc question from 2002s paper, therefore it may help you to look at the board of studies website, and the examiners comments to that particular question.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by jon117
G'day

Cheers
Jon
I think the key will be in your topic definition. That way you can narrow it down in a way that suits you. Look at it from the perspective of both what is in the texts and the general module.

i.e the themes of the "old" text bnw has been rejuvenated through the "new" text of BR

and also within the texts: i.e the savage is venting a desire to return to the "old" world of passion and pain and humanity. While the replicants in BR, although a product of the "new" world, demonstrate the qualities of humanity identified with our "older" world.

Cant remember much more than that from the texts. Hope it helps? Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)