• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Brecht vs Absurdism (2 Viewers)

Brecht or Theatre of the Absurd?

• Brecht

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Absurdism

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Which one are you doing?

(I realise there are other options, but those are the two I'm interested in)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
did you see dumb waiter at the belvoir last year? was pretty good

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Yes I did. To tell you the truth, I didn't like it. I didn't understand it for one (but that's just my non-existent brain). But I hadn't read up on Existentialism and Absurd drama before I had seen it, so I'm assuming that was the main reason why I didn't get it. Not a fan of the violent, so I was a bit taken back by it all. The Downstairs theatre of Belvoir was not the best place for dumb waiter IMO.

But the performers were fantastic, and they really played true to their characters.

:)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
The Downstairs theatre of Belvoir was not the best place for dumb waiter IMO.
but isn't the whole feel of the play a confined feel? I don't understand why you think that, I thought it was a much better setting than upstairs et al, really added to the claustrophobic feel of it

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I've had this debate before with Will, and I bet if i put the three of us in a room I'd be shot down in 5 secs flat. I understand that it sets the mood and all that jazz, BUT for someone who gets claustrophobic easily, the downstairs theatre is not good for me. lol I absolutetly hate being that close to people, whilst sitting down in a confined space. The amount of germs in that room makes me wanna vomit.

I'm a bit of a psycho when it comes to these things.

But if I wasn't such a freak, the downstairs theatre would be fantastic!

kalinda

HSC
i think meyerhold is pretty good with only one problem
the bastard didnt write anything so u cant get direct quotes

HSC
I did absurdism in yr11 so i hafta do Brecht now, who is absolutely fantastic as well! But my hsc performance this yr is sort of influenced by Absurdism as well, i think "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" is a fantastic absurdist play~

I haven't been to the Downstairs Theatre in Belvoir, is it the same as the normal Belvoir or what?

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Ahhh...the memories of when our teacher got us to read aloud in a circle, "waiting for godot' and the pattern of evil hatred and "why did you waste our time?" looks on everyone's faces when we finished the play......lol.....I remember our teacher fast track explaining why we read it before anyone got a chance to scream at him (our year had a really short attention span and always expected exciting stuff so you can only imagine us when we were given Godot to read...without knowing about Absurdism prior or that it was in the syllabus!)

HSC
What's meyerhold like by the way? (ignorant me, i know nothing about him)

And stanislavski's not tooo bad...i spose we sort of take him for granted now and find his crap boring, but heaps of us would have used his methods subconsciously for acting anyway. It's not like heaps of us will use the Brechtian method and distance ourselves from our character for the IP (unless it was Brechtian style or something else). But yeh i agree that stanislavski's boring...

-marilia- xoxo

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not, but I know plenty of people who are. We're doing Meyerhold or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)