• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bridging course (2 Viewers)

svad

HSC
Hii
Has anyone completed a math ext. 1 bridging course at UNSW? I need Ext. 1 for the course I want to undertake (Software Engineering), however I'm not currently undertaking it as a subject at school right now, but it is assumed knowledge. Would a bridging course be worth the time and money?

+ When would be the best time to start a bridging course?

wollongong warrior

HSC
Imo don't take the bridging course
The 1st year math courses aren't overwhelmingly difficult for adv math students to the point where you'll need it
Just revise and learn ext 1 and 2 (except proofs) a month before uni starts and be on top of your studies, you'll be fine

svad

HSC
Imo don't take the bridging course
The 1st year math courses aren't overwhelmingly difficult for adv math students to the point where you'll need it
Just revise and learn ext 1 and 2 (except proofs) a month before uni starts and be on top of your studies, you'll be fine
Thank you, I was just worried if it would be too overwhelming if I didn't do it.

wollongong warrior

HSC
Thank you, I was just worried if it would be too overwhelming if I didn't do it.
There were things that even caught me off guard as an ext 2 student, namely the epsilon delta definition of a limit which my hs teacher only showed me for fun (or maybe he already knew I'd see this in 1st year idk)
But again, as long as you grind the weekly problem sets and don't fall behind, you'll literally be more prepared than 80% of the cohort

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
Hii
Has anyone completed a math ext. 1 bridging course at UNSW? I need Ext. 1 for the course I want to undertake (Software Engineering), however I'm not currently undertaking it as a subject at school right now, but it is assumed knowledge. Would a bridging course be worth the time and money?

+ When would be the best time to start a bridging course?
Fr I have the same question but for physics
Is it feasible to teach yourself hsc physics content?

wollongong warrior

HSC
Don't even bother
Unless you're doing electrical engineering, you'll probably only need to take phys1a, half of which is projectile motion/universal gravitation/torque and mechanics stuff and the other half is chemistry (ideal gas law/thermodynamics/power transfer)
It's a pass/fail (doesn't affect wam even if you fail) and they give you 3 tries to pass each test
I.e it's piss easy

liamkk112

HSC
i think its possible but tbh u might as well just learn it in the physics course at uni, plenty of people do it that way and are fine. tbh if you're familiar with ext 2 mechanics you're probably better equipped for most of uni physics lol, its all gonna be calculus based and while hsc physics definetly touches on way more concepts in physics (and a couple more mechanics concepts like energy and circular motion) i think if u understand ext 2 mechanics and projectiles you shouldn't find it too difficult to learn the rest of the subject

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
Don't even bother
Unless you're doing electrical engineering, you'll probably only need to take phys1a, half of which is projectile motion/universal gravitation/torque and mechanics stuff and the other half is chemistry (ideal gas law/thermodynamics/power transfer)
It's a pass/fail (doesn't affect wam even if you fail) and they give you 3 tries to pass each test
I.e it's piss easy
i think its possible but tbh u might as well just learn it in the physics course at uni, plenty of people do it that way and are fine. tbh if you're familiar with ext 2 mechanics you're probably better equipped for most of uni physics lol, its all gonna be calculus based and while hsc physics definetly touches on way more concepts in physics (and a couple more mechanics concepts like energy and circular motion) i think if u understand ext 2 mechanics and projectiles you shouldn't find it too difficult to learn the rest of the subject
thanks extension 2 mechanics wasnt awful so I'm not gonna do it, especially coz it's like $300 💀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)