brief hazard analysis (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
what do i write as a "brief hazard analysis" for a chemistry prac exam on reactivity of metals?
can someone give me an example?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Identify the sources of danger
E.g burning urself with the acid, acid splashing on ur skin, getting cut by the metal etc

Find a way to eliminate this risk
E.g becaful, wear goggles, and know where the emergency eye wash is

Last edited:

cccclaire

HSC
I love this part of prac exams.

"Care was taken when handling bunsen burners to prevent anything from catching alight"
"brass tongs were used when handling the crucible because it heats up to high temperatures that can burn skin"

Basically, just look at anything that could be dangerous and make up a way that you stopped it from being dangerous.

HSC
N/A
Danger said:
what do i write as a "brief hazard analysis" for a chemistry prac exam on reactivity of metals?
can someone give me an example?
It's a good idea to mention not dropping, say, calcium, or some other highly reactive metal, into water, and to stand back ('where necessary').
In addition to this, you might want to consider wearing the whole deal - a lab coat, goggles/safety glasses, and gloves - and to tie back hair, for safety reasons of course.

It's a given; don't mix acid and water, unless you're fine with a most probably highly exothermic reaction occurring.
A lot of it should be given.

Good luck with whatever it is.:)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
It's a good idea to mention not dropping, say, calcium, or some other highly reactive metal, into water, and to stand back ('where necessary').
In addition to this, you might want to consider wearing the whole deal - a lab coat, goggles/safety glasses, and gloves - and to tie back hair, for safety reasons of course.

It's a given; don't mix acid and water, unless you're fine with a most probably highly exothermic reaction occurring.
A lot of it should be given.

Good luck with whatever it is.:)
I think any of the group 1 alkali metals arent given to students, arent they black dotted chemicals?

undalay

HSC
When reacting metals with water or acids, an exothermic reaction occurs. Meaning equipment can be hot if too much metal is reacted etc.

Hydrogen is also produced which can be dangerous in certain situation, eg don't breathe it in directly.

If the experiment tells you to test for hydrogen in a test tube in which u collect the hydrogen using a 'pop' test, move that test tube away from the rest of the apparatus otherwise you could set off a chain reaction which could cause the rest of the apparatus to shatter.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
we had calcium and reacted it with water. we kept dropping it into the water but outside the funnel thing. so the teacher had to go round and stick it underneath and kept burning himself. hes one of those creeps who has OD'd on happy pills. he actually got angry in physics and i still laughed. anyway just protective clothing. and not smashing glass which we managed to do. u have to shove a measuring cylinder covered with gladwrap onto a funnel. we broke 2 measuring cylinders. and the experiment failed cuz our teacher told us to use 100ml cylinder and there was too much hydrogen and we we used the bigger one it was around 700ml. nice one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)