Bring-info-into-examroom science assessments- (2 Viewers)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys. Have any of yous... done an assessment where u have to bring in all ur research stuff into the exam room and answer questions? ( for the sciences, mine is on Physics, Astrophysics) Well, because its the first time our schools done this type of assessment, I have some qs to ask. lol.

1. How many resources do u need? ( textbooks..etc). Do u need to get science journals and stuff from libraries??Like, do they check ur bibliography and give u marks for them ?

2. Any other advice that can help prepare me for this assessment?

thanks ! =)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
If they're general notes for the assessment, I don't see why they would be checking them.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah.. I had an assessment like this. They are pretty much open book exams. The thing is with mine, they told us the questions will be based on these 4 dot points. So I just wrote down my notes on a piece of paper and took that in with me. I ended up in an argument with the Head Teacher, because she said that "You can only bring in published material, not what you have scribbled on a piece of paper.", which is bullshit. But anyway, to make them happy I put this paper on the web, and said, okay its published now.

Just take in everything, but make sure you practice and learn beforehand. You don't want to waste time reading books and looking for things. And if you feel it would be better to summarise things, then do this, and take in your own writing.

EDIT:
Oh and.. yeah, it depends on what they are marking you on, but for mine they assigned marks to the bibliography. So in this case get as many different types of sources of information related to the exam. Like, text books, web notes, user summaries from BOS, syllabus documents, conference proceedings, journal articles, etc, etc, etc, the list is endless. Hmm, if you need more specific help, post in the forum it is related to.

Last edited:

VuongstER_boi

HSC
um okays. More sources. okays.... but um, where do u find science journals?? online ? or do u have to like travel to the library and stuff. -_-!!!

Also, umm.. did u memorise summaries or did u actually have to memorise like..almost everything from the varies of sources since u gotta know like...heaps of stuff ( i suppose). Yea, i'm kinda stressed cos like i just found out( or realise) that its due this thursday. -_- since i do all 3 sciences, i thoguht they'd all be nex wk.. kjdsnfernfiurefi34 :(

btw, thanks for the reply so far! it was insightful and it helped me think!

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Ok, I have done assessments like this for chem. A few questions....

Do you have a marking criteria??? If so it is really helpful to read it and it will tell you how many sources ect you need.

Also what exactly can you bring in? It is best to bring in all of your sources because depending on your marking criteria you may need to quote them in your responses. And yes, if the bibliography is a part of the marking criteria it will be checked.

The textbook is a good place to start, seeing as it is designed to cover the syllabus there has to be at least a rough outline on what you need to know. Other books are a bit tricky as they are often out of date so the internet is the best way to go, though it is essential to check the reliability and accuracy of these sources by comparing them to others.

Look at your syllabus and the dot points your assessment will correspond to. Write responses to these points and if you are allowed take it into the exam with you, this way all you have to do is adapt your answers to answer the questions and you'll be fine.

Goodluck

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Cover the dot point verbs, if it says identify, then identifying is normally enough.

We have this for our sceinces, a 10page printed limit, unlimited hand written notes.

The problem is alot of students pack in info, and they struggl to find out the answer/specific answer required by the question.

Tips -

Stick to the syllabus, don't go off topic.
Don't plagarise the textbook/your sources, write it in your own words.
Review the stuff before you go in the exam, it'll help you tremendously (since you'll be doing it again later, so storing it now won't hutr too much?)

It shouldn't be too hard though, just don't stress that much.

undalay

HSC
Theres a journal article search engine called proquest, however you'll need an account and to get that you'll need to go to state libraryyy.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
um okays. More sources. okays.... but um, where do u find science journals?? online ? or do u have to like travel to the library and stuff. -_-!!!

Also, umm.. did u memorise summaries or did u actually have to memorise like..almost everything from the varies of sources since u gotta know like...heaps of stuff ( i suppose). Yea, i'm kinda stressed cos like i just found out( or realise) that its due this thursday. -_- since i do all 3 sciences, i thoguht they'd all be nex wk.. kjdsnfernfiurefi34 :(

btw, thanks for the reply so far! it was insightful and it helped me think!
well, i didn't memorise it. i just ripped out the relevant pages (well i didn't rip out pages from the text book, i just photocopied it), and highlighted the relevant sections so i could find it in the exam.

one thing i forgot to mention before, is that, because we are not allowed to copy word for word, as this is plagiarism. so what i said is, okay, i'll write down what i will say, take that in and copy from that word for word. my teacher said that was plagiarism. but i argued that its not plagiarism as its my own work!.

About the journals, for the HSC actual science journals, like the big ones, are too complex, but you can get some dumbed down ones. For instance, Curriculum Support for Teaching Science 7-12 (technically, its not really a journal, but its the closest thing). This is produced by DET, and distributed to all Government School, science teachers. Although there are not too many articles you can use, i recall there was two on reliability, accuracy, validity, etc.. and another one on the ANSTO reactor. There are a couple others that are good. Bug your teacher (if you go to a government school) for a copy.

It is not essential to have a journal article, just try to get as much relevant material as you can, a variety of sources is always good. But it depends on what they are looking for.

For example, if you take a look at the bibliography section of my Syllabus Notes, you can see how I have used a variety of sources in compiling notes.

tommykins said:
The problem is alot of students pack in info, and they struggl to find out the answer/specific answer required by the question.

Tips -

Stick to the syllabus, don't go off topic.
Don't plagarise the textbook/your sources, write it in your own words.
Review the stuff before you go in the exam, it'll help you tremendously
i couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

VuongstER_boi

HSC
hey thanks for some of the advices. They've very insightful.
I also wanted to know ( for anyone who can answer), did any of ur hand-in paper get marked hashly? how much % is it of the actual thing ?

becos..ok. oon the fornt of my notificasiton sheet it says...

gather information from secondary sources by:

a) accessing information from a range of resources, ncluding popular scienfitic journals , digital technologies and the Internet.
b)practising efficient data collection techniques to identify useful information in secondary sources.
c)extracting information from numerical data in graphs and tables as well as written and spoken material in all its forms.
d) summarising and collating information from a range of resources.

Do u think alll this refers to the ... hand-in paper or perhaps its the actual process of gathering information from stimulus mateiral. ( i'm sure the first point refers to the hand-in research info though ).

thoughts?.. lol :confused:

undalay

HSC
You should ask your teacher.
Open book assessments are easy with sufficient prep.
Try your very best to get full marks.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
hey thanks for some of the advices. They've very insightful.
I also wanted to know ( for anyone who can answer), did any of ur hand-in paper get marked hashly? how much % is it of the actual thing ?

becos..ok. oon the fornt of my notificasiton sheet it says...

thoughts?.. lol :confused:
The other part of your post is answered in my previous post.

Ours was out of 15% and its pretty much free marks, you should be aiming for 95%+ as it'll help motivate you once you obtain a high starting ranking.

I got 98% for my assessment, and it was pretty easy, just answer the questions specifically asked and youll be fine.

but if you're that paranoid -

• - Make a DETAILED bibilography in its correct formatting.
  • - They WILL ask questinos on how you obtained your sources and how you know theyre are RELIABLE.
  • - You may need to know the difference between validity and reliability of an experiemnt
Reliable results are those that are consistent through 5+ times of repitition.
Valid results are results that tests what you are truly testing for.

For example, finding the molar heat of combustion for ethanol may yield reliable results in the lab, as they are consistent, but they are not as valid because heat may have been lost to atmosphere/beaker etc.

Don't stress too much, it's free marks.

3 words - concise. clear. confidence.

boris

Banned
HSC
We had an open book exam once (at uni), but the catch was we couldn't bring loose paper in, we could only bring our prac book in.

Luckily I'm a thinker and I just stapled a heap of loose pages with notes to my prac manual. It was totally legal.

Win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)