• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BSc(advanced) @ UNSW or BSc @ USYD (1 Viewer)

which one?

• UNSW

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • USYD

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hsc=suicide

HSC
is there a greater advantage gained by going to unsw where the honours is linked in with the course, or would it be better to simply go to usyd. with my intended major being genetics, and im hoping to work my ass off where ever i go. if i make it into umelb this wont matter, but as a back up which would you take, and why?​

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It doesn't really matter whether honours is built in or not. If you want to do honours and willing to work for it (and come on, 65 WAM isn't hard), you will do honours.

I would say look at the USyd BSc genetics and molecular biotech stream (or whichever one it's called), or do a normal BSc (Adv) there instead (more flexibility). Of course in the end I'll be biased, and as far as I'm aware your choice makes no difference whatsoever.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If you're willing to work, it shouldn't be hard to go from the straight course into the adv course, at least at USyd.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Templar said:
If you're willing to work, it shouldn't be hard to go from the straight course into the adv course, at least at USyd.
Absolutely correct Templar. If you work hard you will be able to grab yourself a spot in the adv course at USYD by transfering after a year or so.

Don't worry about the honours built in, to some people that may be a bad thing, as some may want to just do a 3 year degree and then they realise that they will have to do honours to graduate from bsci adv at UNSW. The 3 year degree now has another degree of flexibility.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hsc=suicide said:
is there a greater advantage gained by going to unsw where the honours is linked in with the course, or would it be better to simply go to usyd. with my intended major being genetics, and im hoping to work my ass off where ever i go. if i make it into umelb this wont matter, but as a back up which would you take, and why?​
Depends on what you want to do with your science degree. And which campus you prefer.

hsc=suicide

HSC
ultimately id like to go partake in research in either europe or america. as to which campus, probably usyd over unsw. from what ive learnt from talk to friends and family and a few genetic proffessors at uni open days, in order for me to have an input into the direction of research ill need post grad qualifications. im just obsessed with genetics and really want to explore it ALOT further. i love the idea of sitting in a lab discovering information for myself and others, it just gets me excited. i know that alot of people dont get anywhere, and i also know it takes years most times to get anywhere, but its about the only thing im really passionate about.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
doing your subjects at the advanced level will help a lot if you aspire to do honours but there's no reason why you cant do that in the standard science program. sure you wont get the (advanced) at the end of your degree but its your honours that matter the most when you complete your undergraduate degree.

unsw chem recently got downsized and i wont be surprised if other non-profitable science schools also get downsized in the future. bioinformatics isnt doing so crash hot (the first ever intake just graduated and the ones i know havent got any jobs), microbio has never been big...etc.

tennille

HSC
The requirements for honours at usyd aren't that high. For chemistry, you only need a WAM of 65 and a credit in senior chemistry.

tennille

HSC
From the University of Sydney website (faculty of science):

A Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is the average mark in the units of study completed by a student, weighted according to the credit point value and academic level of the particular unit.

Say you did 4 subjects per semester, each worth 6 credit points, and you received the marks 80, 75, 68, 72, 75, 86, 82 and 71. Then your WAM would be:

[(80 x 6)+(75 x 6)+(68 x 6)+(72 x 6)+( 75 x 6)+(86 x 6)+(82 x 6)+(71 x 6)] / (8 x 6)

=76.13

The "8" means you did 8 subjects, the "6" means they were all worth 6 credit points.

hsc=suicide

HSC
sweet. so WAM of 65 wouldnt be hard. i hope, unless it gets alot lot harder in uni. is the WAM calculated in your final year or for the entire course?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hsc=suicide said:
ultimately id like to go partake in research in either europe or america. as to which campus, probably usyd over unsw. from what ive learnt from talk to friends and family and a few genetic proffessors at uni open days, in order for me to have an input into the direction of research ill need post grad qualifications. im just obsessed with genetics and really want to explore it ALOT further. i love the idea of sitting in a lab discovering information for myself and others, it just gets me excited. i know that alot of people dont get anywhere, and i also know it takes years most times to get anywhere, but its about the only thing im really passionate about.
Yep I understand what you mean. I think you should go for B Sc at USyd just because you like the campus and you will probably feel mroe comfortable in that environment. As to the Advanced bits, I wouldn't worry about it. You are aiming for Hons in your degree (preferably first class since you will need a scholarship for the PhD), then you should go for a PhD. So doing Advanced science or Science makes no difference.

hsc=suicide

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Yep I understand what you mean. I think you should go for B Sc at USyd just because you like the campus and you will probably feel mroe comfortable in that environment. As to the Advanced bits, I wouldn't worry about it. You are aiming for Hons in your degree (preferably first class since you will need a scholarship for the PhD), then you should go for a PhD. So doing Advanced science or Science makes no difference.
thanks!! ok so i shouldnt focus on getting into the advanced course and more on making sure i get top marks.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The WAM is for the entirety of the degree. Although for those who want to get into research, the first year is not usually looked upon.

If you want to do a PhD overseas, you really need to look at first class honours at the very least if you need a scholarship. And for that, you probably won't get first class if you just made it on a 65 WAM. To do any further research, second class, first division honours is probably the lowest you can get that will allow you to do so. Third class or second class second division honours is just a waste of time.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
The WAM is for the entirety of the degree. Although for those who want to get into research, the first year is not usually looked upon.

If you want to do a PhD overseas, you really need to look at first class honours at the very least if you need a scholarship. And for that, you probably won't get first class if you just made it on a 65 WAM. To do any further research, second class, first division honours is probably the lowest you can get that will allow you to do so. Third class or second class second division honours is just a waste of time.
In maths, what range of marks should you be getting in ur undergrad yrs to be reasonably confident of achieving 1st class hnrs?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
§eraphim said:
In maths, what range of marks should you be getting in ur undergrad yrs to be reasonably confident of achieving 1st class hnrs?
It's actually pretty hard to say. Since at USyd it's 70% coursework, your 3rd year results are somewhat reflective of what you might get in honours. However, it is certainly possible to get a 65 average and barely get in but end up with 1st class (but not uni medal), but that's rare. I'd say at least distinction in 3rd year, unless you somehow miraculously improve, or screwed up previously.

With predominantly research honours it's unpredictable. Some people can get HDs in earlier courses but have no ability in creating new work, while some might be brilliant at it but have poor WAM from previous years.

And for those of you aiming for uni medal, you'll need a 80 or HD average in 3rd year, and 95+ in honours. Usually this will guarantee you some scholarship overseas. (Hence, if you look at the honour boards, why so few medallist stayed on in Australia)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
It's actually pretty hard to say. Since at USyd it's 70% coursework, your 3rd year results are somewhat reflective of what you might get in honours. However, it is certainly possible to get a 65 average and barely get in but end up with 1st class (but not uni medal), but that's rare. I'd say at least distinction in 3rd year, unless you somehow miraculously improve, or screwed up previously.

With predominantly research honours it's unpredictable. Some people can get HDs in earlier courses but have no ability in creating new work, while some might be brilliant at it but have poor WAM from previous years.

And for those of you aiming for uni medal, you'll need a 80 or HD average in 3rd year, and 95+ in honours. Usually this will guarantee you some scholarship overseas. (Hence, if you look at the honour boards, why so few medallist stayed on in Australia)
Do you really need to create original results in maths honours? I thought it was more about demonstrating that you've mastered something difficult on your own.

So the HD average is for MATH subjects only right? It shouldn't include subjects from other Schools?

Do you think Pure subjects like as Analysis and Algebra are good predictors of a good Hnrs essay? They seem like subjects requiring a significant amt of creative thought.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Well, there is the 30% thesis, which is original work. It doesn't have to be difficult, it just has to be original.

The average is for all your senior subjects. Read the science handbook for more info.

I would believe analysis and algebra provides a reasonable indication, but like I said, it's quite hard to judge. Also remember analysis and algebra is only a very small facet of maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)