• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BscIT/DipIT (UTS) vs B Science in Comp Science advanced (Usyd)...PLEASE Help! (1 Viewer)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Hi people

Im facing a delimma on choosing between the following degrees!!

B Science in Information Technology, Dip Information Technology Professional Practice (UTS, 85.20)

OR

B Computer Science and Technology (Advanced) (Usyd, 94.05)

The only thing about UTS I dont like is the STUFFY environment....i think ive studied enough during HSC....n i feel...may be sydney uni will give me that freedom....

plz HELP

Winston

HSC
well i decided alot and my mum said u either go to USYD or UNSW, she said i will hate UTS because there's heaps of fobs there and if i get into a group work i might get some who would just slack off, because a aunty of mine brings some internation china kids over here and they're absolutely lazy asses she tells me and they paid to get into UTS and they're all little prickys so yeah.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
yeah...

my mum is recommending USYD......but isnt the work experience at UTS worthwhile?....only thing i dislike about UTS is the dark environment......

what was ur UAI?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
yeah...

my mum is recommending USYD......but isnt the work experience at UTS worthwhile?....only thing i dislike about UTS is the dark environment......
it wont be dark if your in the IT building all day hehe
yes i say the work experience is worthwhile

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki
it wont be dark if your in the IT building all day hehe
yes i say the work experience is worthwhile
but i think UTS is ugly and stuffy....if i go there...how cud i survive for 4 yrs?? in that dark place?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Any similar courses, to this one?

(sorry to go off-topic)

B.Sc (Comp Sci) - UNSW

Anything else?

I think there's one for Usyd too, as Winston has said.

I don't know what I'm going to do next year, but this UTS course doesn't seem so bad, if I'm going to know a few people. :)

*makes no guarantees about going to UTS, or applying for a computing degree*

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTS is in industry considered to be the best institution for tech courses. This is due to it's up to date resources and course content, as well as close ties to industry (companies and individuals) as well as the instruction by industry giants (ie active members).

The IT building in particular is brand spanking new, with LOTS of natural light and airflow. The UTS computer network is also among the best in the country, far outdoing the pathetic Sydney Uni network and giving UNSW a run for its money.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
well i decided alot and my mum said u either go to USYD or UNSW, she said i will hate UTS because there's heaps of fobs there and if i get into a group work i might get some who would just slack off, because a aunty of mine brings some internation china kids over here and they're absolutely lazy asses she tells me and they paid to get into UTS and they're all little prickys so yeah.
you'll find that EVERY uni has a heavy presence of fobs. there is no escape!

Winston

HSC
but the problem is these FOBS pay to get in, i knew from experience off my aunty because she took these kids from china because of the business men and she had to arrange for uni, they wanted usyd but they got rejected and paid their way for UTS.

But i'm sticking to USYD now, i cbf travelling that far

and yeah robert the building for IT is nice but it's sort of like a reject since it use to be a fair fax building then used for olympics then now it's passed down to UTS, meh i think i'll go traditional and stick with USYD :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
a building is a building ... who cares what it was used as before o_O.

and also, i would know from experience because i study with half of these people. they aernt all that bad, they stick to themselves like any other groups of fobs studying any other degree. I think that by basing your preference of university on this "fob" business alone is pretty gay. but none the less, i hope you have fun at usyd :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by copious

and also, i would know from experience because i study with half of these people. they aernt all that bad, they stick to themselves like any other groups of fobs studying any other degree. I think that by basing your preference of university on this "fob" business alone is pretty gay. but none the less, i hope you have fun at usyd :)

yeah i guess so, hehe thanks... ive narrowed it down, to UNSW and USYD.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC

hey copious

plz tell me how shud i pick b/w usyd and uts.......:(

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
well, if your after decent industrial experience and training, uts is the way to go. they have alot of connections with decent big name organisations. also, this building 10 we speak of is the ultimate l33tz0r of all buildings!. we never goto the giant jenga tower, its all building 10.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
well, if your after decent industrial experience and training, uts is the way to go. they have alot of connections with decent big name organisations. also, this building 10 we speak of is the ultimate l33tz0r of all buildings!. we never goto the giant jenga tower, its all building 10.
what yr are u in copious?

But copious,
ive heard ...let alone the 3rd yr work experience studnets...graduates are unable to find job! and there is no gurantee for work experience!

another draw back is that this degree has like NO maths...from what i have heard....do u think it wud be a smart choice to take this degree??....if we cud take maths + accounting in 2nd yr (24 credit points for electives)!

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well firstly, WHY would you want to do maths for? lol, most people try to get AWAY from it. Maths has lost its relevant in computing anyways, since you nowadays build on top of existing legacy systems rather than build new systems. USyd's computing science still concentrates too much on the past, which is why its not that good. It teaches you a lot of foundation material that you will most likely not use in industry! You hardly need to build software systems from scratch nowadays!

UTS teaches you a lot of stuff in first year that will be VERY useful to you in the industry, and it teaches you a lot of different aspects too. The two networking subjects studied in first year qualify you for half of the CCNA (a specially recognised certificate).

I mean I guess what the others were trying to say is, the employment opportunities are HIGHER at UTS than any other uni, even if IT employment is low atm.

The elective portion of the main BScIT course is fine, and you can take maths if you really want to.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
im a first/second year guy, transferred this year so im in between.jase pretty much summed up what i was going to say.

as with the work experience and employment opportunities, if your confident enough in your abilities, theres no reason why you wont be able to find a job. we aernt spoon fed the positions, we still have to compete with everyone else in the industry.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by jase-REX
Well firstly, WHY would you want to do maths for? .
i wanna do maths cos i did well in HSC.....2u band 6 and 3u E4....i guess i dont wanna loose my maths skills.....it will be funny in uni with no friends.....btw im a twin...so yeah even harder to adjust!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I was going to suggest that copious, hehe. Its worth a try lil_star.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
some one correct me if i'm wrong; even with the maths you learnt in highschool, its got nothing to do with the maths your gonna do in uni

and to the guy who said he didnt want to travel as much... is if UTS isnt the uni with least travelling efforts. Its right next to the station; none of that bus bullshit

and to the guy who reckons building 10 is dark; its not. It's airconditioned, it's got clean glass and tiles, it's got it's own rooftop resturant, what else.... the computers there are probably better than the ones you have at home right now, they've got LCD screens, and a car park downstairs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)