• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BScIT for security? (1 Viewer)

GnomeOomps

HSC
Hey guys,

This is my first post on here, so be nice!

I have been an active member on a different forum about IT related study and work and have been trying to squeeze any info i can get out of people in regards to uni courses.

At the moment im completing an adv. dip. in e-security at TAFE, which im due to finish at the end of next year.

I plan on going to uni afterwards, and i know that i am able to get a credit transfer for the work i do at TAFE. Now im interested in going to UTS as i am told by too many people to count on 10 hands that it is the best uni to go to for IT related study.

My main goal is to end up working in a career as an e-security/e-crime analyst.
How relevant is the BScIT course to doing e-security? am i better off with a different course? I have looked at the BIT course too, but from what i gather it is for school leavers not 24 year olds like myself.

I have read through the BScIT majors and the internetworking and applications major has a network security component to it, is that the only relevant subject i can expect from it?

I read that i would have to complete 144 cps to receive the degree, which means the 48cp for core subjects, 48 cp for a major and then anotehr 48 cp for a secondary major. Is there another major that i should ocmbine with the degree? like can i do the cybercrime component from the law faculty?

Anyway what are your thoughts?

p.s. has anyone done a TAFE > UTS credit transfer before? i know that they are not on the AVCC uni list and am not sure if the minimum 50% credit for an adv. dip. applies to this uni.

I have so many questions but i cant think of them right now...

Thanks in advance.
Gnome

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
i am certain you'll get the credit transfer. I dont go to uts but since no one replied yet, i reckon for e-security stuff a bachelor in Computer Science might be the right choice. At my uni Uow they have a major in Computer science called digital systems security, which is basically e-secuirty.
So i reckon you should check computer science in the course hand book for uts. Ill give ya the link to uow comp sci degree and check out its majors; http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2008/ug/informatics/H08006862.html

hope it helps..

GnomeOomps

HSC
Thanks Hakz!

I had a look at it, that would have to be the closest i have seen to what i want.

The problem is distance, and its over an hours drive to get there. I would go distance ed. but would prefer the interaction of face to face.

I guess maybe i should look at some of the unis like macquarie that offer computer science specifically.
But i dont know what they are like as a uni, or if reputation is good/bad with them.

Again thanks heaps!
Gnome

Lawl

HSC
This maybe a little late and all but the UWS Computer Science course has a major in Computer Forensics

300447.1 Computer Forensics Workshop
CP308A.1 Information Systems Ethics and Law
300149.1 Operating Systems
300165.1 Systems Administration Programming
300128.2 Information Security
300143.1 Network Security
300095.2 Computer Networks and Internets
300569.1 Computer Security

(thats just the major)

more info can be found in the UWS Handbook

http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=3506.4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)