Burglar jailed for 17 years (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thief jailed for longer than killers

A SERIAL burglar has been jailed for 17 years and will have to spend more time behind bars than some killers.

New South Wales District Court Judge Paul Conlon, sitting in Wollongong, jailed Jaime McKillop, 37, for 17 years and ordered he spend at least 12 years behind bars before applying for parole.

McKillop's Victims burst into applause while in court when the sentence was handed down.

The families, who lost heirlooms - including war medals - when McKillop broke into their homes, said they expected him to get a "slap on the wrist" because judges were out of touch with community expectations.

The sentence was similar to that for Gordon Wood, who was convicted of murdering his girlfriend Caroline Byrne last month,and sentenced to 17 years and four months in jail.

It is eight years longer than the sentence given to husband killer Danielle Stewart.

And it's longer than the nine years Robert James Borkowski was jailed for over the deaths of Alan and Judith Howle, whose car he ploughed into while street racing.

Robbery victim Ken Sweeny, who awoke in the night to find that McKillop was ransacking his home, said himself and other victims were so excited they were jumping for joy outside court.

"I was in a state of shock at first," 69-year-old Mr Sweeny, who is blind, said.

"I do think the community expects sentences like this but unfortunately they are too rare." [...]
Excessive sentence or justified as being consistent with community expectations?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Will be reduced on appeal

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Haha except when the justice is sweet. A gal convicted of animal cruelty in the US (she starved her horses) was sentenced to time in jail, and was ordered to be fed only bread and water for the first week or so to teach her a lesson.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
i have no idea how the fuck the legal system works, but can someone srsly tell me how people can get off with murder with 5 years jail? something is srsly wrong with the system. cant there be more judges like the bloke that gave the scaf rapists 55 years? srsly, if we arnt going to have capital punishment and at least have decent legal system that will protect the community.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
big8oyjames said:
i have no idea how the fuck the legal system works, but can someone srsly tell me how people can get off with murder with 5 years jail? something is srsly wrong with the system. cant there be more judges like the bloke that gave the scaf rapists 55 years? srsly, if we arnt going to have capital punishment and at least have decent legal system that will protect the community.
Is this what the Daily Telegraph tells you

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Haha except when the justice is sweet. A gal convicted of animal cruelty in the US (she starved her horses) was sentenced to time in jail, and was ordered to be fed only bread and water for the first week or so to teach her a lesson.
hahah yes ULTIMATE JUSTICE hahaha

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
New law in Australia:

1. Ironic punishments only

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
So who did he rob?

JEWS IN BELLVUE HILL BY ANY CHANCE?!?!?!

I hereby bet $3 that he robbed rich people, and that the sentence would be minimal if they were poor.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Yet if he broke into their house and murdered them he probably would have gotten a smaller sentence...

I don't necessarily find the sentence unfair, but it does highlight how inconsistent judges are.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
So who did he rob?

JEWS IN BELLVUE HILL BY ANY CHANCE?!?!?!

I hereby bet $3 that he robbed rich people, and that the sentence would be minimal if they were poor.

I would bet a lot more than $3

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
His recidivism is probably the real issue behind the sentence. And rightly so.

In the interests of the protection of the community such a sentence is warranted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)