• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

business or architecture $$? (1 Viewer)

xxPanDa

HSC
i just recieved a UAI of 92

now i cant choose between the business or architecture
but i would reallyyy love to do architecture,
but i do hav some interest in business

id choose architectures if they were richer... if i remeber i heard they had a average salary of 40k?

now if i chose business i dont want to do financing, accounting..seems boring.. Unless that gives u alot of money. what other areas of business could make u rich? Human resouce? management, ecomerce? IT? plz help choose a major which would lead to $$$

as u can see money is my main motivator ^^

sooo which one should i choose to become a happy rich man:)

(i fink i may want to end up earing more than 100k a yr?)

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
wtf 60K? You call yourself money motivated? Don't you mean 600K?

Anyway, I don't see where 40K for architecture comes from, you want to excel in a field so you can earn the big bucks for senior people in that field. A top architect is looking at 400K not 40K. Don't worry about averages, even if they are accurate they are for people who don't have any desire to excel.

As for business related courses that will get you uber salaries, the answer is everything at high levels will give you salaries of $1 million +, except maybe actuarial where its like capped at 200K. But then again I'm sure partners/directors of actuarial consulting firms earn $1 million + too.

Just do architecture if you like it. I don't see how you can say one field pays shit and another doesn't. Every field of study has high paying jobs. (I mean like 600K+ not 60K)

xxPanDa

HSC
ok... i actually want more than 60k

are you serious??? 400k???!! woah!!
i was talking to an archi student,
he tolde me it was like 40-50k when ou get out of uni
than after yrs of experience it will depend on how good you are..
he said ur pay will get better as you age... he said maybe up to 100k

axie

HSC
N/A
A few observations about architecture. Like with any job, its possible to earn a lot of money, but:

1) Architects have one of, if not the lowest starting average wage for graduates. I have friends who maintained a GPA of 6 throughout their 5 years who are on $30k. The majority are on $32 - 35k, with the exceptional few lucky enough to break the $40k mark.

2) The % of architects that reach the "top" of the industry is very small, guys like Stutchbury and Murcutt are extremely rare. For every top architect, especially in Australia, there's a thousands who are struggling.

3) Most financially sucessful architects made their money through property development. Most "pure" architects look down upon these guys for selling out.

4) The industry has been experiancing high levels of employment since the mid to late 90s. There is a fear among architects that there will be a bust in the building industry in the next 5 - 10 years. Architects are the first to go when a recession hits.

But, if you really have your heart set on architecture, I would look at trying to do a double of architecture and business. Architects are great at designing shiny buildings, but the vast majority have absolutely no idea how to run a business.

xxPanDa

HSC
axie said:
A few observations about architecture. Like with any job, its possible to earn a lot of money, but:

1) Architects have one of, if not the lowest starting average wage for graduates. I have friends who maintained a GPA of 6 throughout their 5 years who are on $30k. The majority are on $32 - 35k, with the exceptional few lucky enough to break the $40k mark.

2) The % of architects that reach the "top" of the industry is very small, guys like Stutchbury and Murcutt are extremely rare. For every top architect, especially in Australia, there's a thousands who are struggling.

3) Most financially sucessful architects made their money through property development. Most "pure" architects look down upon these guys for selling out.

4) The industry has been experiancing high levels of employment since the mid to late 90s. There is a fear among architects that there will be a bust in the building industry in the next 5 - 10 years. Architects are the first to go when a recession hits.

But, if you really have your heart set on architecture, I would look at trying to do a double of architecture and business. Architects are great at designing shiny buildings, but the vast majority have absolutely no idea how to run a business.
sigh.. thanx for the post!
if only money wasnt a problem

do architects have very demanding jobs? will i be able to study business part time and still be able to keep the architect job? maybe contruction management

i was thinking about human resource management, if i did business, but then someone told me u dont need to go uni to become human resource managemer.. is this true? i could probably work in an architeectural firm and have he chance to become a manager? then earn big bucks ^^?

turtleface

HSC
Graduate salaries don't matter. Architecture grads may start on 32K or whatever, but it doesn't matter as long as its much higher in 5-10 years time. Its that future salary that matters.

Tell me, if you were economically motivated, what position would you rather be in?

A teacher who starts on 45K and who in 10 years time is on 50K, or an architecture dude who starts on 30K and in 5 years time is on 80K?

xxPanDa

HSC
turtleface said:
Graduate salaries don't matter. Architecture grads may start on 32K or whatever, but it doesn't matter as long as its much higher in 5-10 years time. Its that future salary that matters.

Tell me, if you were economically motivated, what position would you rather be in?

A teacher who starts on 45K and who in 10 years time is on 50K, or an architecture dude who starts on 30K and in 5 years time is on 80K?
the architecture dude! i'll just have to work my ass off in uni...
the future is what i'm uncertain off, cause archi is a subjective thing
my friend studying archi, said you would stil probably earn 50k after ten yrs,
how much your salary increase depends on how old u are and how good you are.

would there be much better oppurtunities overseas, such as asia? maybe i should look into an exchange program or sumfing during uni

axie

HSC
N/A
turtleface said:

Except in five years time that architect who started on 30k will be pushing 50k, or maybe 60k if they are lucky.

You don't study architecture for the money, you do it cause you love it.

HSC
Yea i agree you should do a course to enjoy it and enjoy ur future career. Money will only be able to buy u a degree of hapiness... do what you love

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
business is boring as.....it's a very generalised degree which will only provide you with background knowledge for the corporate world - something specific like architecture will equip you with the actual skills needed for your career.

as far as the money goes - if you excel in ANYTHING, you'll rake it in. I've heard of bricklayers making 100k, so it makes more sense to do something youre interested in and would be more willing to work hard at.

right now, you shouldnt be worried about the money. the only exception is teaching, where you know you will be making next to nothing for your entire career. :p

good luck with choosing a course!

xxPanDa

HSC
yeh bricklayers are rich lol
dont know why.. maybe cause if contracts

im now finking about doing both! archi.. then business part time

do u fink it would be a waste of my my time and effort?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xxPanDa said:
yeh bricklayers are rich lol
dont know why.. maybe cause if contracts

im now finking about doing both! archi.. then business part time

do u fink it would be a waste of my my time and effort?
yes. it'll be hard to balance, not to forget that you'll be paying the government a lot more money back when you graduate and start working. if you're passionate about architecture, and have confidence that you can excel, then you can bring in the big bucks. on the other hand, if you're apathetic about business, you probably won't try as hard, nor will you empress many employers, thus your income may never reach the level you get doing architecture.

Finally, what specifically are you interested in business. if you simply want to work in business, that's reason enough to go into architecture. there's too many types of business work to consider. also, i don't see how it particularly adds to an architectural degree. you simply state you only want something that leads to big money. that is a poor motivator. sure, you could do accounting, which leads to high monetary 'ceilings', but if youre finding it boring, you probably won't take the initiative to work your way up. funnily enough, you may like the prospect of money, but trying to find passion for something you hate is difficult. Try this analogy: there is a hideous girl who makes you cringe to look at. she's also very rich. every time you kiss her, you feel like throwing up. you cant have a conversation with her, as she's boring and stupid. don't even get me started on the sex, where she uses a strap on to violate you. however, you're very well off financially. would you marry her, or even date her? This is what working in a field you consider boring would be.

In business, like most other fields, if you're good, you'll earn a lot. Some HR managers earn $400k+ salaries. So do some who work in marketing. As do advertising directors (hell, i've spoken to some who own islands). On the other hand, many HR managers earn 30k salaries. so do people in marketing...advertising.

Last edited:

xxPanDa

HSC
stazi said:
yes. it'll be hard to balance, not to forget that you'll be paying the government a lot more money back when you graduate and start working. if you're passionate about architecture, and have confidence that you can excel, then you can bring in the big bucks. on the other hand, if you're apathetic about business, you probably won't try as hard, nor will you empress many employers, thus your income may never reach the level you get doing architecture.

Finally, what specifically are you interested in business. if you simply want to work in business, that's reason enough to go into architecture. there's too many types of business work to consider. also, i don't see how it particularly adds to an architectural degree. you simply state you only want something that leads to big money. that is a poor motivator. sure, you could do accounting, which leads to high monetary 'ceilings', but if youre finding it boring, you probably won't take the initiative to work your way up. funnily enough, you may like the prospect of money, but trying to find passion for something you hate is difficult. Try this analogy: there is a hideous girl who makes you cringe to look at. she's also very rich. every time you kiss her, you feel like throwing up. you cant have a conversation with her, as she's boring and stupid. don't even get me started on the sex, where she uses a strap on to violate you. however, you're very well off financially. would you marry her, or even date her? This is what working in a field you consider boring would be.

In business, like most other fields, if you're good, you'll earn a lot. Some HR managers earn $400k+ salaries. So do some who work in marketing. As do advertising directors (hell, i've spoken to some who own islands). On the other hand, many HR managers earn 30k salaries. so do people in marketing...advertising.
thanx for the post,
iv decided to do archi at usyd now, my UAI is 1.05 short
so i have to make a portfolio, anyone have any tips/advise on what to put on portfolio?

id appreciate any further comments about archi or business:)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
probably best to speak to arch professors during open day about that

xxPanDa

HSC
Musk said:
architecture is the most cut throat industry there it out there
dammit!
someone tell me, something positive about archi:burn:

id be earning more than TAFE grads, wont i? well teachers atleast.. i hope

btw:

quick i need some help wiht my portfolio, due bye january 4
and the info day is on january 3
i geuss i'll have to finish the portfolio today, and send it tmr

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xxPanDa said:
dammit!
someone tell me, something positive about archi:burn:

id be earning more than TAFE grads, wont i? well teachers atleast.. i hope

btw:

quick i need some help wiht my portfolio, due bye january 4
and the info day is on january 3
i geuss i'll have to finish the portfolio today, and send it tmr
because something is cut throat makes you want to reconsider it? that's stupid. every industry is cut throat, some more than others (e.g. acting). if you have the talent and the drive, you will make it.

However, it's stupid that you haven't considered what is needed in the portfolio yet, considering it's due on the 4th.

Also you said you didn't have the uai? B Architecture doesn't list their UAI cutoff.

xxPanDa

HSC
ok i just handed my portfolio in
i went to UNSW and USYD open day

at first UNSW sounded OK
although B commerce 93 i think i could get in with EAS, and i still need to look into the course, if i would do it

USYD, architecture lecture was totaly gay. the proffessor was explaining to us "architecture is a language" what buildings say ?!!?! something to with environment..
it was totally different to what i thought it was, soo boring
is this what archi really is?

then i looked aroudn the buildings.. it didnt look as great as the pictures did. inside the building were soo outdated.. libary looked so old, lecture rooms.
i saw the outdated video in the lecture room...i was scared if i turned into that women woking for homebushbay station, the design studios looked a bit better, but soo messy, model, junks and crap. but they had all this high tech machines.. 3d scanners, CAD, wind tunnels, lights, audio.. and these were the only interesting things..
i dunno why, but the wilkinson building look pretty dull, except for the design studios.. maybe it was the lights

after going to USYD, i became confused again.. unsure if archi is what i really want to do..
one thing is for sure, i love the model building, graphics, drawing.
not sure about the history and concepts/ideas "LANGUAGE"

MUST decide preferences BY TOMORW!

i geuss i must try out a course first.. than transfer.. but which one should i try first? commerce first? or archi?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xxPanDa said:
USYD, architecture lecture was totaly gay. the proffessor was explaining to us "architecture is a language" what buildings say ?!!?! something to with environment..
it was totally different to what i thought it was, soo boring
is this what archi really is?
then i looked aroudn the buildings.. it didnt look as great as the pictures did. inside the building were soo outdated.. libary looked so old, lecture rooms.
i saw the outdated video in the lecture room...i was scared if i turned into that women woking for homebushbay station, the design studios looked a bit better, but soo messy, model, junks and crap. but they had all this high tech machines.. 3d scanners, CAD, wind tunnels, lights, audio.. and these were the only interesting things..
i dunno why, but the wilkinson building look pretty dull, except for the design studios.. maybe it was the lights
after going to USYD, i became confused again.. unsure if archi is what i really want to do..
one thing is for sure, i love the model building, graphics, drawing.
not sure about the history and concepts/ideas "LANGUAGE"
MUST decide preferences BY TOMORW!
i geuss i must try out a course first.. than transfer.. but which one should i try first? commerce first? or archi?
every subject will have a history and theory component. you can't study something without placing it in context, no matter how much you're itching to get hands-on. I'm majoring in marketing, and for an advertising class I was a little ticked off that we had to study the history of advertising. Now, I realise how valuable it was - to understand how history has shaped the way that communication has evolved.

Most of your post, you talked about buildings. Who gives a shit? The IT building at USYD (next to the seymour) is bloody amazing. I guess that means you should study computing instead...

And please stop asking everyone about what you should choose. You should know by now. It doesn't matter which you try first - try whatever you think will be best for you. (Although if I had to choose, I'd go for architecture, as you probably won't dislike commerce, as it's pretty straight-forward, but you may love or hate architecture).

Finally, have a look at the handbook for what subject you'll be taking (as well as their descriptions). See if that interests you.

hellomike

HSC
...It's the oldest university of Australia. The facade makes it look grandeur and well established like Cambridge or York in England.

USYD, UNSW and UTS offer Architecture and they don't necessarily teach the same programme. One maybe more theory, the other an industry approach. You have to get a feel of it basically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)