• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

business studies/ economics (2 Viewers)

hey just a quick question./
well u know how economics is harder than business studies and it scales better? well if you are a good student and have the potential to do economics and wish to get the best uai possible, should you do ecos instead of biz?

i was just thinking coz like if you can do advanced eng, you are meant to do it instead of standard, so i was just wondering if it was like that

its just i like business studies better, but am worried about the scaling and stuff

biz studies has SO much content but it is easy, whereas ecos has less content ( well from my notes anyway) but it is harder

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
HAHAHA eco has less content...HAHAHAHA :rofl:

ok ok I have regained composure now :)

If you would do equally as well in both subjects (i know this is difficult to tell now) then i would suggest choosing eco over business. if u absolutely hate eco and love BS, then chances are you'll do better in BS. If you love BS but dont mind eco that much, then you might be better off doing a subject that you may not love but at least can tolerate cos it scales better than BS. Just make sure that you like it enough to do well in...i did both eco and BS in yr 11 and HATED BS (although i was doing well) and dropped it to lift up my mark in eco ( which was a miserable 70% in prelims) and now im averaging 91, so keep in mind that its best to do the subject you like, but if you dont mind a subject that scales better then choose cos it'll only be for another year anyway. i now leave room for scaling experts to step in :p

Edit: BAH! i just read over what I just typed and it doesnt make any sense! im too convoluted :( sorry....

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
It also depends on your other subjects. Like if you have an opportunity to do both economics and business, then do both, as the two subjects do overlap. For example in economics you do Global Economy and Australia in the Global Economy and in business you do Global business.
I do economics, business and legal and I find that these 3 subjects overlap considerably.
In terms of your situation it depends on how much you enjoy business. If you enjoy business, then I would stick with it, as you are likely to do well in it if you enjoy it. Economics is a harder subject. Ive been told that a 78 in economics equates to a 90 in business. I don't know if that is correct though, there are a lot of myths about scaling. However you have to look at your capabilities, like are you able to get a 78 in economics? You might want to look at previous exams and look at a few economics textbooks to see what you would be faced with if you decided to select economics.

Last edited:
^^^ i feel like with biz studies i could get 90 + as it is fairly easy.

with economics i could get like 85? maybe or higher but i dont know

i like the business studies work better then economics because it is heaps easier to understand BUT i liked my economic class bettre ( we are at a public school but there is only 8 in the economics class) but i felt like i was using ecos for the wrong reason,s (my friends cool teacher and class) - whereas biz studies, i actually liked the work ( but i HATE the teacher and dont know people) so thats why i dropped economics .. having 2nd thoughts though!

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by jessica_layden
^^^ i feel like with biz studies i could get 90 + as it is fairly easy.

with economics i could get like 85? maybe or higher but i dont know
Well if thats the case, in terms of whats best for your UAI, I would do economics. It's a tricky situation. You have to think about your general situation. Economics is a difficult subject, which does result in stress. If youre doing other advance subjects and you decide to go do economics, then the chances of burnout in year 12 do increase. It's always good to have a balance. However if you think youre capable of the workload, then I would select economics.

^^ thanks for all your input, ist appreciated :) um yeah i think i am capable of doing economics BUT it is just they always say to pick subjects you like and i dont really like it! but i am capable and stuff, so yeah it makes i hard ( my other subs btw are 3 unit english, 3 unit maths ( definetely dropping extenion next year) ancient his and chem ( dropping that too)
thus it leaves me with 3 unit eng, 3 unit his, biz studies and ancient

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by jessica_layden
^^ thanks for all your input, ist appreciated :) um yeah i think i am capable of doing economics BUT it is just they always say to pick subjects you like and i dont really like it! but i am capable and stuff, so yeah it makes i hard ( my other subs btw are 3 unit english, 3 unit maths ( definetely dropping extenion next year) ancient his and chem ( dropping that too)
thus it leaves me with 3 unit eng, 3 unit his, biz studies and ancient
Sure thing, anytime. Just weigh up your options. I'm sure you'll figure it all out. With that subject list you should be easily able to handle the workload in year 12. You seem a knowledgeable student. Remember its always quality over quantity. Good luck with it all.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
follow the rope and do business, very easy to get band 6 if your smart.

Seabiscuit

HSC
I hate economics. Its so boring!! And its hard, but its scaled down. :(

astro

HSC
i do eco...and stupidly missed the opportunity to do business becayse the subjects do in a way overlap....instead of business i do ancient which i think is very boring...in my class neway

question: is maths important to become a good economist? Is 2unit mathematics enough? Is eng more important than maths when it comes to eco?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Seabiscuit
I hate economics. Its so boring!! And its hard, but its scaled down. :(
umm eco is scaled well actually..it scales better than physics :D

astro

HSC
ah well.....there goes my dreams of becoming an economist out the window

what is exactly involved in political eco.

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by astro
i do eco...and stupidly missed the opportunity to do business becayse the subjects do in a way overlap....instead of business i do ancient which i think is very boring...in my class neway

:rofl: True True

Kuya

Originally posted by *girl04*
^^^ you obviosly do ecos and not biz, but seriously there is a fair bit of overlap
yups this girl is right. i do both and in biz my teacher always says "who does economics here?" "oh well the economics kids will be learning abt this" then he draws some graph on the board.. cause there is overlap.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I do economics and can honestly say my business mates do so much more work assessments-wise...and their content is just as hard as economics? But who cares? they're both boring!

Kuya

yeah the concepts in eco are harder to understand. business isnt so much abt concepts.. more abt real world practices. so in that sense it is easier to understand cause you can relate it to real world happenings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)