Busking group... (1 Viewer)

JoeysBoy

HSC
Any one in sydney interested in forming a busking group to earn a little bit of money during the holidays? This would be in sydney... tho if enuf people wanted to form one in like the Port Macquarie area (I can travel up to newcastle if needed), that would be cool!

Just a bit on myself: I'm up to Gd 4/5 Cello, I do music 1, I've been playing since year 10 (I'm in year 12 atm) involved with our school musical (which has totally RUINED my easter break... F**K!!!) and whatever other ensembles in my school. I'm into all kinds of music, except most Jazz (some of it I like), and I HATE RnB and soul... Sorry :) I can play a little bass-guitar, though havn't for a while!

Repetior wouldn't be like freak-hard (ie. L-mus level... hehe) or too easy. Your instrument would have to fit into some kind of catagory... you know ;)

If anyone's interested, we can talk about the specifics (ie. # of people, even profit split, what kinda repetoir, rehersals etc.)

Last edited:

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
Any one in sydney interested in forming a busking group to earn a little bit of money during the holidays? This would be in sydney... tho if enuf people wanted to form one in like the Port Macquarie area (I can travel up to newcastle if needed), that would be cool!

Just a bit on myself: I'm up to Gd 4/5 Cello, I do music 1, I've been playing since year 10 (I'm in year 12 atm) involved with our school musical (which has totally RUINED my easter break... F**K!!!) and whatever other ensembles in my school. I'm into all kinds of music, except most Jazz (some of it I like), and I HATE RnB and soul... Sorry :) I can play a little bass-guitar, though havn't for a while!

Repetior wouldn't be like freak-hard (ie. L-mus level... hehe) or too easy. Your instrument would have to fit into some kind of catagory... you know ;)

If anyone's interested, we can talk about the specifics (ie. # of people, even profit split, what kinda repetoir, rehersals etc.)
sounds likea top idea! except for the bit i bolded :(
why don't u like Jazz man *cries* ive got parts and everything *sniff* :p

JoeysBoy

HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
sounds likea top idea! except for the bit i bolded :(
why don't u like Jazz man *cries* ive got parts and everything *sniff* :p
hehe! Sure someone of your level of playing would want to play with a "music-noob" with me, anyway. I like SOME Jazz, like 70's and 80's Jazz, tho I CANNOT stand anything before the 1960's. Maybe I'm just uneducated! Teach me the ways of Jazz, Tim!

JoeysBoy

HSC
Not "my" group! I supose material for a string quartette (violin, viola, cello (me) and MAYBE a double bass) would be easiest to find, tho any music can be adapted, ie. if you play f-horn, you can play viola part... lol? I don't know! Thats the problem... many people won't want to play cuz the combinations of isntruments don't match :(

there are tons of options! Depends what is available! Heeps of pop music includes a shrunken version of an orchestra. Rock music, ie metalica included an orchestra in one of their albums... whatever! Sooo many options...

what do you play?

Last edited:

brassedoff

HSC
If you want to come to Coffs sometime I'll play with you. I'm up to about 7/8 grade on Trumpet, doing music 2, and like most music, but only some jazz (latin is good.) I'll play for company and cash is good too. :)
have friends that would be interested too, including a bass, and an 11 year old who plays clari like a pro.
You'd might be coming for the trip alone, because people around here don't tend pay for anything that isn't mainstream, but it's always worth a shot, eh?

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
i play a bit of double bass. but i dont have one
i mainly play keys. which arent really portable that much.. so it sorta rules me out! :p.. i used 2 play trumpet though.. only stopped about a year and a half ago.

JoeysBoy

HSC
brassedoff said:
If you want to come to Coffs sometime I'll play with you. I'm up to about 7/8 grade on Trumpet, doing music 2, and like most music, but only some jazz (latin is good.) I'll play for company and cash is good too. :)
have friends that would be interested too, including a bass, and an 11 year old who plays clari like a pro.
You'd might be coming for the trip alone, because people around here don't tend pay for anything that isn't mainstream, but it's always worth a shot, eh?

Hey! Thats cool... tho trumpet/cello/clarinet? Sounds interesting. The combination would produce a decent tone... I could get to Coffs! Is it around 1 1/2 hours from Port? Yeah it is worth a shot. U only need to get the audience's attention!

What repetoir u think there would be available? So far we have a REALLY small orchestra (an instrument from each family). And do we have to pay gay ass copyright for whatever we want? U know where to get some decent scores? Theres always a chance to play sections from our own music elective assessment compositions (This term for my hsc assessable one, I've combined a string quartette with a drum kit!!! ... change the instrumental roles?)

JimmyK... could you get to Coffs? It would be cool having a trumpet duo... (strange thing is, before year 10 I played trumpet for 8 years!)

Write back pls :) I'll add you on msn, tho can only talk between 3:30 and 5:00 weekdays... Boarding school.... :)

Last edited:

pristine

HSC
sounds like an awesome idea.
except busking without talent would be pretty embarassing.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Yay busking!! Can i come too? I loooove busking!!! Its great fun. I always go with my tenor horn friend and most of the time we make like $80 in less than 2 hours but the other day we had a terrible day and we only made $3... and we split that into 2 so we only got $1.50 each... that was real sad.... but anyway...!!!

JoeysBoy

HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
bah. everyoone on here has talent :D
Hehe... you just answered your previous question!

80$ in two hours is pretty impressive! I find it hard to believe that you only made $3 in a whole session... where did you busk geek?!? Just interested to know :)

This may seem fairly random (this next paragraph) but its been on my mind all day, and I don't know where else to post it! Last night was our first "oliver" performance! Our first violin is in year 8, and honestly, his tone/ability isn't that great! A last minute inclusion of this lady that has been on tour made up for the abysmal violin part and... O.M.F.G!!!!! Her counter melody in fagan's song in the 2nd act - "reviewing the situation" was NUTS!!! (needless to say the year 8 couldn't play it...) It was the FIRST TIME I had heard it played (in the performance itself) and I almost lost my place due to surprise!

Next performances are tonight and tomorrow night (wednesday and thursday). Wish us luck!

Last edited:

soulshine

HSC
joeysboy. sounds like you are a boy, who goes to joeys! am i correct in assuming so?
and if so, do you know andrew halter?

JoeysBoy

HSC
soulshine said:
joeysboy. sounds like you are a boy, who goes to joeys! am i correct in assuming so?
and if so, do you know andrew halter?
Yeah, I know him. He's in my year... and used to be in my music class till we got seperated into music 1 and 2. (He does ext)

Where do you know him from?

soulshine

HSC
I met him at a jazz camp in january :) he's a lovely boy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)