• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Calculus (1 Viewer)

Rebecca153

HSC
Can someone please tell me which sections of the Preliminary HSC Mathematics Course would be considered 'Calculus'? Thanks!

HSC
Uni Grad
'Tangent to a curve and derivative of a function' for 2U.

'Parametric representation' for 3U.

HSC
Uni Grad
I think most schools do 'Geometrical applications of differentiation' and 'Integration' in Year 11 as well even though it's part of the Year 12 course.

Rebecca153

HSC
Thanks! I don't do any maths but am interested in Economics / Commerce and was told that to do those degrees you need to know Yr 11 2u Calculus. So, given that I only need Calculus, I might be able to avoid a bridging course if I learn those topics?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Grab a year 11 maths textbook and off you go

Aluminesis

HSC
Calculus in year 11 is pretty simple and straightforward. Like harrisony said, "grab a textbook and off you go". Borrow one from the library or off a friend for the weekend and jot down or photocopy some stuff. If for some reason you feel you'd like to buy a textbook, I'd recommend going with Fitzpatrick since it has both year 11 and year 12 courses and is quite reputable. Once you've got the basics down, you're pretty much set. Bug a maths friend and they'll set you on the right path in no time!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Thanks! I don't do any maths but am interested in Economics / Commerce and was told that to do those degrees you need to know Yr 11 2u Calculus. So, given that I only need Calculus, I might be able to avoid a bridging course if I learn those topics?
If you are thinking of doing Economics/Commerce, why aren't you doing any maths? Most people drop maths because they can't handle it; so it's misleading to think you can turn to the calculus section of a maths text and be able to handle it by yourself. Besides I thought most economics courses require 2u Maths Adanced(or equivalent ie not Gen Maths). Better check with prerequisites for eco courses.

Last edited:

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the text books your school uses. We use old ones by Margaret Grove and they have split it by the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)