• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

California sues car makers over global warming. (1 Viewer)

je2obrien

HSC
LOS ANGELES — California's attorney general filed a public-nuisance lawsuit Wednesday against the six biggest-selling automakers, alleging their products spew dangerous greenhouse gases and foster global warming.
The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Oakland, seeks unspecified compensation for the "billions of dollars in damages" from global warming caused by cars.
The lawsuit names General Motors, Ford Motor (F), DaimlerChrysler (DCX), Toyota(TM), Honda (HMC) and Nissan (NSANY). They have made 88% of the vehicles sold in the USA so far this year.
"Vehicle emissions are the single most rapidly growing source of the carbon emissions contributing to global warming, yet the federal government and automakers have refused to act," state Attorney General Bill Lockyer said in a statement. "It is time to hold these companies responsible for their contribution to this crisis."
Though limited to California, the lawsuit could invite others from around the nation. It could put automakers under more pressure to speed development of hybrids and alternative-fuel vehicles, such as those powered by hydrogen fuel cells, to lessen air pollution.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-09-20-global-warming-lawsuit_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Some one on the OCAU forums noticed this and I thought I would point it out in this forum... Get people's thoughts?

I can't see them being successful.

T

Tom Ruprecht

It sounds to me like he's trying to score political points. I can't see how it would be successful given that courts don't like to legislate.

Perhaps the Californian AG is trying to run for Governor sometime in the near future. It would certainly be a popular lawsuit among the greenies of California. And here, we ARE talking about the state obsessed with hybrid cars.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
well, it'd certainly be favoured by the creativists...

don't like the existing case law? change it! click edit now! :)

Rorix

HSC
=) Very clever Frigid.

Wasn't there already a lawsuit filed over global warming on behalf of some Pacific Islands? I remember a lot of flash when it was first annouced but I imagine it was dropped soon after since I don't remember hearing anything else about it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)