• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Calling all HSC'ers at Tafe or Bradfield College (1 Viewer)

girlinterrupted

Hi there! A friend of mine recently had to drop out of Year 12 due to a family tragedy. She is an extremely intelligent, hardworking student and is hoping to redo the HSC next year either at TAFE or Bradfield College. She doesn't have Internet access, so she wanted me to ask all you BoS'ers completing Year 12 at either of these institutions some questions:

1.) Is it possible to achieve a UAI of 95+? What is the highest UAI (that you know of) achieved by a TAFE/Bradfield HSC student?

2.) What modules/texts are studied in the following subjects:
*Advanced English
*Ext 1 Eng
*Ancient History
*Ext History

3.) Since she had to drop out so late in the year, she already has tonnes of notes, essays, resources, etc. on the modules she has studied in each of the above subjects. How flexible are the teachers in terms of slightly modifying assessments so that they are based on the modules she has studied rather than the ones studied at TAFE/Bradfield (if there is a difference)? Would they do this?

4.) Bradfield College sent her a prospectus, and in it, it basically states that Ext History is conducted as 'Ancient History Extension' or 'Modern History Extension'. What is the difference between these two courses? Is it just the case study (if so, what case study is looked at in each)? And is it possible for a student studying ONLY Ancient History to do Modern History Extension, or vice versa?

Thanking you all very much in advance :)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
Hi there :)

Im in a similar situation in that im repeating yr12 at TAFE, but not because i dropped out, purely because i bludged last year.
1) I believe it is possible to get a UAI over 95+, well i hope so since i need a UAI of 95+ lol. My biology teacher has told me about students who have achieved high UAI's at TAFE.
2) I do std. english as there is no advanced english at Brookvale TAFE, though I believe their is at every other TAFE. If you want to know what im studying, see the last line of this post.
3) You can possibly request to the teacher that they do the same texts that she had done the previous year, though i recommend that you tell them early on in the year so they can modify there schedule. Also, maybe you could do different texts to what the class is doing, i dont know if thats possible but it might be.
4) Im not sure about that. Its probably best to contact the Career's counsellor at the said TAFE.

Hope that helped.
If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me, or msn me - theorem_09@hotmail.com

BabySilver

HSC
I'm doin mine at TAFE too, My tafe (Granville) only offered Standard English but some do offer advanced. It i possible to get a HIgh UAI (like 95+) just as in any school. Tafes are meant to be treated as just another school. If she has notes from when Ins School they ill probably allow her to use those. I know that as I was really sick & hospitalised over one of our English modules, the teacher told me I could do it on my own, As I hate Jim Carey & Reality Shows I pointed out to her I couldn't even keep myself awake to view the movie, she suggested I Use Strictly Ballroom as it is also a Film offered in the same module etc She let me use that instead. I found it alot asier and manged to study it enough in the week before my trial to get 12/20 which for me, a maths person, is outstanding. as for the history thing, tommy's right, go to see the counsleers, theya re there every week day even over holidays it's a free service and they are really nice, they can give you as much advice as posible and possibly even refer you to the HSC co-ordinator at the tafe, who are usually equally as nice.

there I think i answered anything, but if yu need more info.. feel free to mail me, rissy29@hotmail.com

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i am sure it has to be possible to get 95+ uai if they work as they would at school and so just as well in assessments.

ashjw84

hi girl,

i'm redoing my HSC again at Bradfield...........I was in a situation similar to your friends. One of my big worries of doing it at Bradfield was that I knew that it had a reputation of being a school for bludgers and people that didn't care how well they did, and I knew that would affect my scaling etc. The reason I chose to do it at Bradfield against ordinary TAFE was basically because of the subjects offered. The TAFEs closest to me all had different subjects so I would have been travelling around all the time. Anyway, I started Bradfield a few weeks ago to get myself familiarised with the place (and the work again) before the HSC starts in October. I'm doing Advanced English, Extension 1 & 2, Modern History, Legal Studies and History Extension (and carrying 1 unit from my previous HSC). The English teach is excellent.......she was Head Teacher of English at North Sydney Girls for 8 years so she knows what she's talking about. The modern history teacher is very nice, but since I had the best history teacher at my previous school, it's a bit hard to do a fair comparison. As for the texts, it's a bit undecided at the moment.......but I know in Advanced we're doing King Lear as one of our texts (apparently, students vote on the things they want to do at the end of Yr 11....but don't know for sure). As for the teachers modifying assessments....I have no idea so she'll have to talk directly to the teachers, but they are all very nice so I'm sure they can help out someway. The reason I'm redoing my HSC is to get into Vet Science, so getting a UAI over 95 was also a really big issue for me. I asked the Director about this and he said that it was very possible, and some students had got over 98 in the past.

I hope this answers your questions.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)