Calling anyone that studied at Cranbrook School (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Of course; especially Maths General.

There is an inverse relation between level of maths taken and family wealth.
Do agree in a way that wealth can buy success. With family wealth I assume, that you get access to better resources, better teachers and the ability to 'buy' knowledge. Sometimes I think determination alone won't get you to the top. You need good mentors, you need people that have achieved that high success before to enable you to get to the top.

I didn't get tutoring growing up nor did I go to any exclusive private school (I grew up and did my schooling in a fairly low socio-economic area). I also am lucky in a way as back in my home state my parents, with their own run business, which built up over time, they did provide me with a lot of support in my postgraduate degree which allowed me to buy any books I wanted, graphics calculators and allowed me to set up my own tutoring business over there and it enabled me the time to focus on study. For some people the thought of studying further is unfathomable but I guess for me its a bit different, I've always enjoyed learning.

Im not too sure what you mean by 'inverse relation'? I get the feeling and I may be wrong, is having taught a couple of students from the likes of : Scots, Knox and St Andrews Grammar, from what I see in HSC rankings (Considered to be Top 100 schools with good reputations but not relatively higher ranked schools 42, 51 and 85 ) in comparison to selective government entry schools. I get the feeling these schools place a bit more emphasis on the 'all-round aspect' of the student. I may be wrong.

I'm still not too sure what you mean by 'inverse relation'? Do you emphasise that money can drive results? Or what you mean is these families that send their kids to these high fee schools place slightly less emphasis on academic but focus more-so on the 'all-round ability' of the individual?

Last edited:

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Of course; especially Maths General.

There is an inverse relation between level of maths taken and family wealth.
Curiously, Cranbrook seems to be the only good boys school not trying to game the hell out of the rankings by putting students good enough for a band 5 in 2u in general to get the b6. Since the papers can only count b6s for the school ranks most of the top independents (and sometimes selectives) try and force students to do the levels of maths/english they know they can get a b6 in, regardless of what the students want to do. On that front Cranbrook doesn't seem to be that guilty. Barker, Shore, Knox, View and King's on the other hand are far from it judging from their disproportionate levels of general maths b6s. I won't count Joey's in that list because they probs are genuinely not smart enough to do the higher levels of maths.

get at me gps and cas boiz minus aloys and cranbrook

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Curiously, Cranbrook seems to be the only good boys school not trying to game the hell out of the rankings by putting students good enough for a band 5 in 2u in general to get the b6. Since the papers can only count b6s for the school ranks most of the top independents (and sometimes selectives) try and force students to do the levels of maths/english they know they can get a b6 in, regardless of what the students want to do. On that front Cranbrook doesn't seem to be that guilty. Barker, Shore, Knox, View and King's on the other hand are far from it judging from their disproportionate levels of general maths b6s. I won't count Joey's in that list because they probs are genuinely not smart enough to do the higher levels of maths.

get at me gps and cas boiz minus aloys and cranbrook

Whats joeys?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
highly doubt you will find 2015 paper so soon; especially this early in the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)