• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

can anyone help me with 'american history x' please? (1 Viewer)

=elyse=

HSC
hey guys i need some help in finding techniques and things in the movie american history x. so far i have only been able to identify the flashbacks in black and white and a few others, but its quite challenging. also anyone that could give me a run down on the whole inner journey aspect of the movie.. i would really appreciate it!! thanks:)

absolutlaura

HSC
Im having trouble with the techniques aswell, it is a bit tricky.

As for the inner journey.. both Derek and Danny go through inner journeys, and both journeys are heavily influenced by external factors.
Derek's inner journey begins when he is sent to prison, he sees the 'politics' and 'favours' taking place among the white supremacist gang that is protecting him, and the minority gangs within the prison, his strong belief system and his distrust of the politics of it all alienates some of the others - leading to the rape/beating from his 'allies'.
This obviously makes him question the cause.
Lamont, is the only person who keeps Derek sane (and alive) in prison.. causing Derek to realise that there is good and bad in all races and that life should be respected.
Sweeney influences Derek on his inner journey as he causes him to question the way he has been living his life and realise that the only one he has to blame for the place his life is headed is himself - 'Has anything you've done made your life better?'.
Derek takes responsibility for the first time, an important aspect of his inner journey.

Danny's inner journey is largely the result of his idolisation of Derek. Cameron preys on this admiration and this is a main reason why Danny begins accociating with the D.O.C.
Danny's fledgling supremacist ideals leads him to write the paper hailing Hitler as a civil rights hero, which in turn inspires Sweeney to make him write a paper on Derek's prison years. Derek's own inner journey influences Danny, as Derek's role in Danny's life takes a positive turn, Danny still respects and admires his big brother, but instead of admiring his racist attitudes, he is influenced and inspired by Derek's capability for growth and his conviction in undertaking his inner journey.

So basically, the inner journey is one involving the shattering of previously held belief systems - which is a confronting one, both Danny and Derek are lead to question their beliefs, and through this they challenge themselves, as their previously held beliefs are a reflection of themselves.
Derek's physical journey acted as the catalyst for the inner journey.

Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)