• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can i ask about pay?!? (1 Viewer)

hApPy1

HSC
Can i ask about pay now?!?

So we all know one of teh biggest no no's in an interview is to ask about pay...I've done the trial...can i ask now!?!

Now ive only been to the trial but have a fair idea of what the job involves (i was 'thrown into the deep end' during rush hour in this so-called trial.

Its a pizza and sandwhich making place called "Gourmet Quicktake"

Basically i have another trial on monday at another place- a burger hut - which is in my actual hometown (no fuss for transport there).

So i have to choose between the burger hut and this sandwich place- what im doing is TRYING to weigh up the best job ($ wise, most likely to give more hrs, transport wise .etc)

I tried to ask about pay indirectly at this sandwhich place--

Me: yeah, im just worried this will clash with austudy payments...
Boss: Oh dont worry, we'll decide ur hours to stay within the threshold....

great, so now i get less :/

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Why would you wait until you start before you ask about pay?

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
yeh difently a ques to ask the manager at the end of the interview where he/she ask do u have any other ques. Like me i didnt so i got shown through a pay slip and i was quite suprise at the pay with what i actually do very dissapointed though :rolleyes:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
If you have a chance to ask someone who works there rather than a manager do that.

- L1n -

HSC
theres nothing wrong with asking about the payment, just make sure u have a confident tone, be direct, u'll be surprised how ur interviewers may react, some cna it as a offense some may not, but end of the day it's better to not get the job then getting the job then quitting after 2 days cos ur unhappy about ur pay. Hence always go for ads that has a direct rate.

P

pLuvia

Just ask, I asked for my jobs their not going to treat you any worse (hopefully)

It's normal for someone to ask for their payment

As someone said above, ask before you have an unpleasant surprise about the crap payment. Then you have to think of an excuse to quit :p

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
arooshika... said:
i asked after she offered me the job. i didnt want to but my parents made me. they are such payment freaks
yeah i never ask either, my last 2 jobs have told me without asking in the interview tho

hApPy1

HSC
Thanks ppl for ur input- i really appreciate it.

An update- I did ask. It went something like this...

Me: Hope u dont mind my asking- but what is the rate of pay for working here...?
Boss: What did u say about Austudy? Well, you're almost 18...so we will have to stay within the threshhold of how much u can earn...
Me: Yes, but how much do under 18s, even, get paid roughly...
Boss: Oh i really have no idea, John takes care of all that work...

*awkward end of conversation*

Note: the store has been open for a year...which she managed...hmmm

ps. the cafe is in cronulla - so i am seriously considering a trial i had the other day- im sure its less pay but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer to home and similar to my last job....

thanx ppl- plz continue to express any opinion u have on this or the controversial avoidance of that darn question!

thanx again

Last edited:

frazzle

HSC
I don't understand why asking for how much a job pays is such a taboo, I mean, it IS quite an important aspect of the job description, and it's only your right as an employee to have access to that information. I think it's unfair if the employer DOESN'T tell you how mush you'll expect to be paid before you work for them.

7th Sign

HSC
never ask about pay rates in a interview...

It makes you sound bad... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dont ask about worker discounts either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)