• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

can i get a 98+ atar if i go to a low ranked public school (1 Viewer)

lacedmalice

HSC
ik people ask this question alot but i keep getting mixed answers from different people so i wanted to ask on here. my school is ranked around 260 and i heard that if u go to a low ranked public school where like ur cohort doesn't put much effort or wtv, u get scaled down. im aiming for an atar of 98+ but im doubting thats possible cuz of my school. you dont have to sugar coat anything just be brutally honest. i need to know if im cooked or not by going to a low rank school.

HSC
ik people ask this question alot but i keep getting mixed answers from different people so i wanted to ask on here. my school is ranked around 260 and i heard that if u go to a low ranked public school where like ur cohort doesn't put much effort or wtv, u get scaled down. im aiming for an atar of 98+ but im doubting thats possible cuz of my school. you dont have to sugar coat anything just be brutally honest. i need to know if im cooked or not by going to a low rank school.
it is possible, yes. you will just have to do a lot better than your cohort as a whole. to my knowledge, nesa doesn't automatically drag you down just because of your school. if you establish yourself as an outlier, i believe your internal marks will be treated accordingly.

fluffchuck

HSC
Uni Grad
It is definitely possible. When I sat my HSC, my school was ranked ~150, and I received an ATAR of 98.70. There were 3 other people who got a higher ATAR than me (all 99.00+), and 2 or 3 other people (I don't completely remember, this was a long time ago!) that received 98.00+.

It is important that your internal rank for all of your subjects is high enough, so that the people ranked below you are not able to drag your marks down (in some subjects, you will need to be rank 1). If you are not rank 1 in some subjects, this is not an issue given that the people that are ranked higher than you are performing well (in my case, I was rank ~5 for Chemistry and Physics, which was not a concern as the people in ranks 1-4 did well in their HSC, and so I actually ended up getting dragged up for these subjects).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)