Can someone check my essay? (1 Viewer)

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
Question: How do these influences gain a competitive advantage.

Operations are broad processes that help transform the inputs of the business into the business’s outputs such as the production of goods and services or supply chain management; it also involves the creation of value by businesses. Globalisation, Technology and Cost-Based competition are all influences on operations management which can help a business achieve a competitive advantage through management strategies in response to changes in these internal and external influences. Qantas is Australia’s leading airline company which maximises the benefits of these influences to gain a competitive advantage.

Globalisation is an integration process which can help a business achieve a competitive advantage, as it eliminates the barriers of trade between nations; this provides a source of market opportunities both from one nation to another, it also leads to increased competition and capital flow. Globalisation is a critical influence on operations management as large corporations are progressively changing their practices towards the global market, to meet the needs of global consumers. A business requires a reliable supply chain which is highly responsive to changes in demand to meet the needs of customers, to achieve a reliable supply chain sourcing must be utilised properly to gain cost and expertise advantages. An example of a transnational corporation achieving a competitive advantage is Qantas, as globalisation has allowed Qantas to access new markets overseas. Over 70% of Qantas’ assets are geared to the global market. Thus, forcing Qantas to compete on an uneven playing field; 70% of the 40 airlines which fly to and from Australia receive assistance from their governments which negatively affects the market which makes it a lot harder for Qantas to compete. The evidence presented is the reason why globalisation is a significant influence towards operations management which helps a business achieve a competitive advantage.

Technology has a critical role in the application of the operations function of a business; it is a growing necessity which affects the efficiency and relations of the business. Technology can help a business achieve a competitive advantage as it helps businesses streamline their processes which saves time and lowers cost, it allows businesses to have a broader reach in the global market via the internet, improved communications which result in better business opportunities, and the ability to identify and evaluate issues in their business more efficiently. The thoughtful application of technology can be an operations strategy which helps a business achieve a competitive advantage through leading-edge technology; this creates innovative products more quickly and to higher standards, reduces waste and operates more effectively. Qantas uses the application of technology to gain a competitive advantage through adopting and the continued upgrading of available technology to maintain cost leadership and competitive advantage. Their newer planes, A380s have greater capacity, more fuel-efficient and fewer emissions due to their continued upgrading of available technology. Innovation in technology has allowed Qantas to provide a superior level of service to its customers. With technology comes innovation which invokes greater competition and overall more competition in the markets, thus requiring businesses to innovate to gain a competitive advantage.

Cost-based competition, a significant influence on the operations management function as the level of efficiency can be determined through the assessment of cost structures in business. Cost-based competition can shape the operations function in competing businesses and for it to gain a competitive advantage businesses can apply strategies such as lowering the price of the same product. For this cost leadership to be achieved, businesses must find ways to produce products at a lower cost through different production methods or by the utilisation of resources in a more cost-efficient manner. Another strategy utilised to gain a competitive advantage is competition-based pricing; this pricing method relies on information on the market rather than the perceived value, prices are set based on competitors’ price, strategies and market offerings. An example of a company indulging in cost-based competition is Qantas. They face significant grown in competitors in all markets which dramatically affects their market share and profitability. Many of Qantas’ competitors possess greater cost advantages such as lower rates of taxation, labour rates, and cheaper financing. To achieve the lowest competitive cost, Qantas has introduced innovative technology such as newer planes like the A380 which uses less fuel and carries more passengers, seek alliances, and outsourcing. Hence, cost-based competition is a prominent influence which determines the business’s profit margin, as it is the setting of the price of the business’s product or service based on competition.

(no conclusion yet)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm guessing a bit here as I read it since your topic sentence of "How do these influences gain a competitive advantage." isn't clear what the referenced influences are and I'm inferring it from your essay.

From an overall structure perspective, it's really written as an essay however I would suggest that given it's business studies, you can write it as a report which means using headings, bullet points, etc.. things which help break up the text.

Whilst you've presumably captured the syllabus points based on your introduction and structure, your case study of Qantas reads almost like a press release/marketing spiel without really integrating the examples to link it back to the question being asked.

A business requires a reliable supply chain which is highly responsive to changes in demand to meet the needs of customers, to achieve a reliable supply chain sourcing must be utilised properly to gain cost and expertise advantages. An example of a transnational corporation achieving a competitive advantage is Qantas, as globalisation has allowed Qantas to access new markets overseas. Over 70% of Qantas’ assets are geared to the global market. Thus, forcing Qantas to compete on an uneven playing field; 70% of the 40 airlines which fly to and from Australia receive assistance from their governments which negatively affects the market which makes it a lot harder for Qantas to compete. The evidence presented is the reason why globalisation is a significant influence towards operations management which helps a business achieve a competitive advantage.
This doesn't make sense to me at all. What does 70% of assets geared to the global market actually mean? Then how does the statistic that 70% of the 40 airlines which fly to/from Australia being subsidised by their governments relate to the previous point? I get the link between how globalisation influences operations management (although I think you need to expand on what that actually entails), but the examples provided do not really link operations management to a competitive advantage.

Technology has a critical role in the application of the operations function of a business; it is a growing necessity which affects the efficiency and relations of the business. Technology can help a business achieve a competitive advantage as it helps businesses streamline their processes which saves time and lowers cost, it allows businesses to have a broader reach in the global market via the internet, improved communications which result in better business opportunities, and the ability to identify and evaluate issues in their business more efficiently. The thoughtful application of technology can be an operations strategy which helps a business achieve a competitive advantage through leading-edge technology; this creates innovative products more quickly and to higher standards, reduces waste and operates more effectively. Qantas uses the application of technology to gain a competitive advantage through adopting and the continued upgrading of available technology to maintain cost leadership and competitive advantage. Their newer planes, A380s have greater capacity, more fuel-efficient and fewer emissions due to their continued upgrading of available technology. Innovation in technology has allowed Qantas to provide a superior level of service to its customers. With technology comes innovation which invokes greater competition and overall more competition in the markets, thus requiring businesses to innovate to gain a competitive advantage.
There's a LOT of words here which feels extremely generic and not actually explaining the point. If you're going to use your case study (which you should), what are the key points around how Qantas has used technology? My gut feel was it's either through differentiated service offerings and/or cost efficiencies, and then explaining what these are in practice whether it be how customers interact with the airline, the experience when they are flying with Qantas, or even the efficiencies which lead to lower prices vs competitors.

I didn't quote your final paragraph on cost strategies but I suggest linking it back to how significant are fuel costs for an airline, and then explaining why fuel efficient jets are used, etc...

Maybe I'm being overly critical and am not a teacher (and did my HSC a while ago) but I read this and felt like it didn't get to the point.

Janet C. Pitre

HSC
I spent a lot of time writing papers, revising them,i don't want to do it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)