• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can someone explain this to me? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am trying to work out what subjects I have to do this year for the Bachelor of Information Science course I got into. All it says is:

The 240 units required to complete the degree must include:

All prescribed courses;
A major sequence;
Not more than 100 units at 1000 level;
At least 60 units at 3000 level.
So my questions are:

1. What are the prescribed courses? It does not say.

2. Do I have to chose the major subjects this year, or do you do those in your final year?

3. If you have a lookout the subject table there are not even 100 units at 1000 level or 60 units at 3000 level, so how am I supposed to do at least 60 if it is not possible:confused:?

As you can probably see I have no idea what is going on, so any help would be very kind of you:).

Ribbon

Check the website of your uni and do a search for the 2004 handbook. It should have all the prescribed courses and the majors you choose from. It should also have a typical outline of what each years subjects will look like. The units it refers to includes the prescribed courses, and remember each course is worth so many units, ie, one course does not = 1 unit. You may also be able to choose courses from other faculties in your degree and so the 100 unit limit may come from there.

If you are still lost, ring the faculty advisor and see if they can help you out.

edit:- Just checked out the link... Iam not sure, but I *think* you need 8 subjects each year and 4 each semester. This means you have 2 electives in first year, 4 in second, and 5 in third. Depending on which major you are choosing (because they have different numbers of subjects) you have to work in your electives around your major subjects....

does this make a bit more sense to you?

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thank you for your reply Ribbon:). So just say I want to major in "Human Resources and Organisational Change", I know I have to do a maximum of 55 units per semester. Does that mean I would have to chose say three subjects from that major sequence and two electives? If so, which subjects are the electives:confused:? Thanks again:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks Cyph, you have saved me again:). So I think I have it all understood now. Those courses you stated are the prescribed courses I have been confused about. So I have three more questions:

1. Are the subjects with units at the 3000 level harder than subjects with units at 1000 level?

2. Would I have to do the major courses after I have completed all the prescribed courses or doesn't it matter?

3. Down the bottom of the page, it states that I may choose to undertake 40 units of electives. Is this compulsory? If it is, would it be possible to take these 40 units in my first semester and choose Business related courses? That way I could have 40 credit points (or equivalent to one semester of Business) already completed when I hopefully transfer to business next year:confused:?

Thanks again for any help:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Oh, I see, so the courses with units at the 1000 level are designed for first year students. I understand this now, slowly but surely:).

So would I have to get in contact with the Bachelor of Business faculty to see if their courses are restricted or would they tell me this when I enrol in the subjects:confused:?

So because you are unsure whether UAC will calculate my GPA and UAI equivalent on the results of 6 subjects over the year, I will do the eight (even though ten is allowed) and I should be fine? Therefore I will have 60 credit points and I might be able to hopefully transfer to second year business next year! Even though your said a year is 80 credit points, would they allow me to make up for the 20 I missed? Man, I am so sorry for all these stupid questions:eek:. Thanks again:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
OK, I think I just pulled off a wrought of the system. Cyph told me that I need 80 credit units to transfer to second year business next year, from the Bachelor of Information Science course I am enrolled in this year. Now every Business major has the same eight core units at the 1000 level, being:

1. ACFI1010 "Financial Accounting"
2. EBUS1010 "Introduction to eBusiness"
3. ECON1100 "Microeconomics I"
4. ECON1110 "Macroeconomics I"
5. IRHR1110 "Introduction to Management and Organisational Behaviour"
6. LEGL1001 "Foundations of Law"
7. MKTG1000 "Marketing Principles"
8. STAT1050 "Statistics for Business"

Now, in order to do get 80 credit units for the Business degree this year I did the following:

1. This is a course in the Accounting Major Sequence (which I will be majoring in if I do not get a transfer to the Bachelor of Business next year) of the Bachelor of Information Science.
2. I used this as 10 units from my possible 40 elective units.
3. I used this as 10 units from my possible 40 elective units.
4. I used this as 10 units from my possible 40 elective units.
5. This is a core course in the Bachelor of Information Science.
6. I used this as 10 units from my possible 40 elective units.
7. I could not fit this into this years courses so I chose the ACFI2100 "Fin Principles for Business" course which is a second year course in the Accounting Major Sequence of the Bachelor of Information Science.
8. This is a core course in the Bachelor of Information Science.

So my question to everyone is, is this allowed? I don't see why it wouldn't be. If they allow this I will be so happy because it will mean that I will have 80 credit units in the Bachelor of Business (which is the equivalent to one year) and will mean that I will be able to transfer to second year in the Bachelor of Business next year and not the first year:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Get in contact with the relevant faculties for the subjects.
Will do (just to make sure):).

You should see whether UAC will calculate it or not, maybe contact UAC or ask Laz.
If I am not allowed to do the courses I posted above I will ask Laz:).

lol. What's the obsession with second year business? If you get the transfer, you will be doing second year business subjects and I guess you could overload (5 subjects a semester) to catch up on second year if you really wish to do so..
I don't have an obsession with second year Business, it is just that if possible I would like to transfer to second year business and not first so that I don't have to stay at university for another year:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Damn! My plan has been ruined:mad:! ACFI2100 - Financial Principles for Business, which I was planing to do in semester 1 has ACFI1010 - Financial Accounting as Assumed Knowledge, which I was planning to also do in semester 1:mad:. So I won't have the required assumed knowledge to do the subject and that subject is not available in semester 2:mad:. So I will have to do one more course next year (five subjects in the first semester) to catch up to the Business people to make up for the one I missed this year (that is providing I get the transfer). I will have to ask Laz (when he get back) if UAC will calculate my GPA with only seven subjects and not eight. I might even be able to get the transfer after semester 1 (because I will be doing the full four subjects in semester one). Man I hope I can get the transfer before this year starts. All this trouble because I was 1.8 under the cut-off UAI:mad:!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Ahh..

The Uni runs summer courses over this holiday period, with a lot of business/commerce/economics/finance sujects, so it's a good opportunity to catch up, the only catch is it'll cost you 1k to do it instead of ~650 or whatever it normally is.
$1000 for just one course:eek:! I think I will just do one extra subject next year:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
That will be a LOT of work.
Really? It is only one more subject for one semester though. If I am really dedicated do you think I will manage it, or is it just impossible:)?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey, what is the average time spent at uni a week? coz im only going to be doing 3 subjects (30 units) and im gunna be there about 19hrs a week (+ another 8 hrs travel time :() so is that about right?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
hey, what is the average time spent at uni a week? coz im only going to be doing 3 subjects (30 units) and im gunna be there about 19hrs a week (+ another 8 hrs travel time :() so is that about right?
It would depend on what subjects you are doing I suppose because some Lectures/Tutorials/Workshops go for different times:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)