• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

can someone explain this??? (1 Viewer)

sugared plum

HSC
ok this is the situation.

three people in my class all received an internal assessment mark of 50.
at least one of those people received 50 externally (apparently - and i haven't checked yet)

HOWEVER,

the assessment mark for the person who (allegedly) received 50 is only 48, as is the person who didn't receive 50 (i'm not sure what his external mark was but he ended up with 47)

WHAT THE FUCK???

Huy

HSC
N/A
Maybe the school stuffed up.

sugared plum

HSC
ok if anyone cares...

because three poeple were ranked first, they took the average external mark of those people and made it the internal assessment mark...
one of the boys is really spitting, as his essay was fucking amazing.

it's a bit of a shit system.
the same thing happened to me in modern, but i didn't notice it at first - 3 people ranked first and they make an average.
ohhhhh welllllllllll

Huy

HSC
N/A
I dont know how that works, but maybe that's what happened with me too (and my friends).

We didn't have 50/50 though, but the 1st ranked student was on 48 I think (assessment).

Our average marks fell between Mid 10s to Mid 30s.

No one passed 40 externally, but we all passed 40 internally (I think all of us).

I know someone who is getting a clerical remark or something, but I don't care - the pain and damage has been inflicted.

Only 1 person was ranked first, so I guess that "rule" doesnt apply to my situation/school.

Our assessment marks werent bad, but our external marks were PATHETIC to say the least -- however the ass'ment mark that got reported was also, equally, pathetic.

I hate EE2.

*goes to lay down, away from BOS*

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
holy shiznit batman...that sucks!!!

Our school only had three as well, but we got marked accordingly, no evening or splitting that just isnt fair...

You are punishing the top student and rewarding the bottom one, especially when what happened in our school, one got 50, i got 49, and the last dude got 32 (i think) for external...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Theres a BOS document that explains all that... If you all go brilliantly in internal, and a few dont do as well externally than ALL the internal marks will be brought down, because that means your school are really easy markers. But if all the internal marks are relativly low and your external ones high, then the internal marks are brought up!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Theres a BOS document that explains all that... If you all go brilliantly in internal, and a few dont do as well externally than ALL the internal marks will be brought down, because that means your school are really easy markers. But if all the internal marks are relativly low and your external ones high, then the internal marks are brought up!
holy crapsical! we've got one or two people in our ext. 2 class who im sure wont go that well in the external mark, but are still going relatively ok with the internal marks so far. i hope they dont bring us down, as ur saying...anyway, im sure apart from a couple, most of our classes works will be brilliant... our teachers are pretty confident in our grade.

sugared plum

HSC
they won't bring you down.

it's only if more than one person is ranked first, and some of those people who are ranked first don't do well.

in my example, boy A- 50/50 myself - 49/50, boy B - 46/50

they took an average of those mark , whcih was 48, and that became our assessment mark.

boy A is pissed off with boy B because boy B brought his mark down to 49.

I don't give a fuck, because my mark is the same, and cannot be blamed for boy A's mark as 50 plus 46 divided by 2 still equals 48 - it makes no difference if i'd not been ranked first or not.

the end

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Yeah, i think that document is called scaling and your HSC or something like that, im pretty sure i grabbed it off here...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Will_Sparky,

Maybe it was a UAC publication? The Report on the Scaling of the 2002 NSW HSC, perhaps? It's available from the UAC website.

Undergraduate,
Publications (left hand side menu),
Download.

Report on the Scaling of the 2002 NSW HSC
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2002.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)