• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

can someone tell me the difference between an allele and a gene? (1 Viewer)

HSC
source: dictionary.com

Gene
A hereditary unit consisting of a sequence of DNA that occupies a specific location on a chromosome and determines a particular characteristic in an organism. Genes undergo mutation when their DNA sequence changes.

Allele
One member of a pair or series of genes that occupy a specific position on a specific chromosome.

Hope that was helpful.

.ben

HSC
Does that mean the two are the same? thanks btw

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nope. For example the gene for height is expressed with the alleles H and h.

Gene: Is the height
Allele: How high or short the person actually is.

:D:D:D

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
well from hsc online, it says:

distinguish between the terms allele and gene, using examples

An allele is an alternative for a particular inheritable characteristic, e.g. tall (T) and short (t) are two alleles for the characteristic of height in some plants. In humans, straight (S) and widow's peak (s) are two alleles for hairline. With the development of modern genetics, we now identify these factors as genes. A gene is a section of DNA coding for proteins that expresses itself as the phenotype of an organism. Alleles are alternative forms of a gene. In many sources you will find the terms allele and gene used to mean the same thing.

u can go to http://hsc.csu.edu.au/biology/core/blueprint
its heaps helpful, since it outlines all of the syllabus dot points in biology and most other subjects. i'm using it to since i hav my 1/2 yearly exams next week, with bio in 9 days!!!

Dr_Doom

HSC
I got bio in 5 days!

I think the best explanation for an allele is "Alternative form of a gene".

ubergeekery667

HSC
Thought I'd share a neat little analogy I recently found for the two.

A gene is like your livingroom.

You can decorate your livingroom in retro or contemporary, but you still have a livingroom.

In genetics, everyone has a gene for eye color (simplification). You could have the allele for blue eyes or the allele for brown eyes.

There are different alleles for every gene, like there are different ways to decorate your livingroom.

I thought it was really neat, though it probably won't make much sense to someone living in a studio all their life.

Cheers
Chris
Pittsburgh, PA (USA)

PS, DrDoom states:
Gene: Is the height
Allele: How high or short the person actually is.

In that example the gene in consideration is that which codes for height. One allele (form of the gene) for height makes you tall, and the other allele (form of the gene) for height makes you short. How high or short the person actually is is their phenotype, or the physical expression of the allele. No flame, just clarification.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)