Can they do this ??- 3U Maths (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Im currently moving from year 11 to year 12 and have heard news of our 2 3U maths classes being cut down to 1.
Leading, inevitably to me being kicked down to 2U which i really dont want as NOONE in 2U passed their exam and im happy in the class im in now. I just spent too long studying for other subjects i enjoy more as opposed to 24/7 maths study like most others.
Anyway.
My question is, can they kick me out of a course even if im going badly in it?
Im still passing 2U exams and not going too badly in 3U ones... just not as well as others.
Is there a Board of Studies ruling on this?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I don't think there is any 'official' commentary on this, however, I don't think a school can force you to drop a subject. They many pressure you to do so, but they can't force you to get rid of a unit.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
umm thats what they said to me... and i had to change schools :p but they told us like..... halfway through term 3. so there was time for me to apply for selective .. umm my case was that my class is a group of accelerants doing mathematics ext 1.. some only doing 3 some doing 4 unit... what happened was they told us that we were not allowed to repeat unless there was space in maintream year 11 3 unit maths... ext 2 dubbed no problem, but it was ext 1 that was the concern. at the time, they told me that only 12 out of 20 people would be able to sit for next years HSC and 8 would miss out.. i panicked and got worried coz i dont intend to repeat ext 1, but i want to keep options open in case i didnt do as well as i want..the teacher made it clear that we either keeep our shit mark and miss out, or change schools. it was simple as that. i called all the selective schools that were accessible for me and i explained my circumstance. Girraween seemed the only school that gave me an 80% chance of getting so i applied and got in :)
i was the only person who went and found a school.. no one panicked.. but i thought it was better to be safe than sorry... i talked to every teacher about this. they told me not to worry coz i WILL have a spot to repeat ext 1.

when i finally got accepted, the leading teacher told us that there was enough people dropping ext 1 for the whole class to repeat [with the exception of 2 people coz theyre coming 1st and 2nd for 3 and 4 unt]. i was so damn pissed off... i ended up leaving coz i know at girraween, i have to work hell harder than mac fields.

i called district offices, board of studies and some fair education unit. they told me they couldnt do anything, but to only tell the principal that they have a person who opposes it. they have nothing to do with how the school is run and what classes are set up. so board of studies cant do jack i'm sorry to say..... no one can actually stop you from doing it.. the school cant cater so u have to find somehwre else.. u cant do distance education because ur school offers it .. perhaps try looking at TAFE or maybe looking for another school that you can do ONLY maths in.. i know this girls that doins ext 1 music only at mac fields but she goes to some campbelltown school.. she only come for the lessons she needs..

i know its such a hard situation to be put in.. me and my parents didnt talk because of my decisions.. but theyre happy now that i've gone to a better school...

sorry if i didnt help much. ur situation sux0rs and i hope all goes well for you .. good luck :) and cheers

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
no school can force you to drop a subject. even if you are getting 2% as ur average, they have no right whatsoever to drop you, and that is the rule set out by the Board of Studies.
they may prevent you from picking up certain subjects...
but in terms of making u drop... no.

if they threaten you with something like "drop or we'll expell you..."
tell them that you'll be contacting the Board of Studies and they'll shit their pants

a similar situation happened to me.. in which my teachers really threatened to expell me if i didnt drop..
i asked the Board of Studies if this is allowed and they said 'absolutely not!'. when i told my teachers, they all backed off and let me stay in my class.

Last edited:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
technically, they can't kick you out of a course
they can only RECOMMEND you not to do it.

that's what i heard my teachers said.

so i guess they can't force you to drop a certain subject if you don't wanna drop it

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
technically, they can't kick you out of a course
they can only RECOMMEND you not to do it.

that's what i heard my teachers said.

so i guess they can't force you to drop a certain subject if you don't wanna drop it
that's what i heard

Winston

HSC
no they can't, but they encourage u to drop out if ur doing bad because it will pull down your class.

PRSOV

Your school can only make reccommendations, ie. if your doing badly in a subject like physics...they can reccommend that you divert to visual arts instead, but they can't actually make you drop a subject.

Also with dropping from 2U maths down to general or as in your case 3U to 2U your suppose to change over like within the first two terms of Year 11, otherwise there can be too much work to catch up and can cause more harm than good.

Anyway good luck with yr 12

Regards,
PR

eth

HSC
But that's not so much of a problem with 3U to 2U cos you should have learned most of it already, along with extra

snoopwogg

HSC
HaHA, CANT force you? LOL can they force you to do the hsc at TAFE? Half of my yr 12 class was kicked out to Tafe at the beginning of the year. Unless you're in a government school, the school can do pretty much what it wishes, you are free to leave any time.. LOL what a joke.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Girraween High School has been falling apart since 2000. I got suspended from Girra in 2001 for telling off the Head Teacher (who I won't name for legal purposes), when he tried to drop me to General Maths forcibly (my marks in Maths 2u weren't That bad, but they would have affected the oh-so-precious average). Unfortunately, ever since the current principal came to power, the school has been falling apart, which is a real pity for Girra Alumni.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
nah mate, they cant do shit, even if a class runs during year 11 and it drops down 2 one student for year 12 they hav 2 run it, and here, they cant let some continue and force others 2 drop it, its bullshit i say, if they try 2 make u drop it, go 2 principal then 2 the bos person 4 ya area, they cant do jack shit m8, gud luck
-dawso

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)