• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can you appeal to board of studies? (1 Viewer)

overwhelming

If you school has not marked an english assessment to your satisfaction, i.e. your response is clearly above what the marking guidelines (standards based marking says) can you object to the Board of Studies?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Just want to start by saying Im not implying anything, just trying to help (ppl tend to fly off the deep end without reading........ myself included :) )
Is your response above the marking criteria or is it *your opinion* that its above the criteria?
Just asking this (in my experience-10 years of senior teaching) as many students feel this after spending so much time on something but if you actually go through the criteria with someone who is objective (like the marker), it may actually be the right mark eg its too descriptive but you dont realise/cant see the difference between description and analysis because youre not being objective about your work- which is hard to do.
My advice: get someone else to look at it (not another student) as it may be right or the criteria may be bad enough to warrant a remark at the department head's level.
The BOS wouldnt do a thing....... its a school issue
Hope this heaps

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by overwhelming
If you school has not marked an english assessment to your satisfaction, i.e. your response is clearly above what the marking guidelines (standards based marking says) can you object to the Board of Studies?
4 our school the policy is talk with ur class teacher, then head teacher, year advisor ( if unresolved) then deputy principal then there is like a panl meeting and then an appeal form to board of studies

overwhelming

Originally posted by snapperhead
Just want to start by saying Im not implying anything, just trying to help (ppl tend to fly off the deep end without reading........ myself included :) )
Is your response above the marking criteria or is it *your opinion* that its above the criteria?
Just asking this (in my experience-10 years of senior teaching) as many students feel this after spending so much time on something but if you actually go through the criteria with someone who is objective (like the marker), it may actually be the right mark eg its too descriptive but you dont realise/cant see the difference between description and analysis because youre not being objective about your work- which is hard to do.
My advice: get someone else to look at it (not another student) as it may be right or the criteria may be bad enough to warrant a remark at the department head's level.
The BOS wouldnt do a thing....... its a school issue
Hope this heaps
yeah I am going to talk to the head teacher as soon as I can find her. And Yes I am sure that I have met the requirements/criteria for the higher bands because I have compared my response to fellow students response.

I guess if the head teacher doesn't do anything then I will have to talk to the principal or talk to board of studies.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i think the statistic is that MOST schools have never won a case against BOS. and keep in mind that these cases have the FULL support of the school. stats arent pretty unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)