Can you fail ENGG1000? No, seriously? *worried* (1 Viewer)

_santa

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm currently really really really worried that I might fail ENGG1000. My group is doing great, but sadly, without much of my contribution (if at all). Basically there are some really smart people in the group, so I'm not that useful to them. Now, the assessment for this course requires that we do something called ipeer to evaluate the other members and our marks will get scaled accordingly. So there is a chance I might fail the course...which is something I can't afford (international student)

So do you know anyone who failed this course in the past?

Thanks for your help!

LordPc

HSC
firstly, if you do well in the CPR evaluations, that will help. those are worth 30% alone. there is only 10% left but still, if you have done well in the first 20% you are almost there.

if you really feel you are doing nothing, perhaps offer to write up the report. you might be able to make a good start on that now, documenting progress of your project and such.

or just tell your group (or leader if there is one) that you would like to do more to help.

also what project are you doing?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
To give you some confidence. I got 0/20 for an assessment task worth 20%.

I still got 68% for the course.

For the Ipeer thing, you will probably still get around 80-90% of the mark even if your group decides to grade you down.

Last edited:

_santa

HSC
Thank you for the reply,
I did well in stage 1 (got 98), but stage 2.. I screwed up pretty badly (got 73), if I try really hard on the last stage, would that be okay?
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.
Do you know how much can the mark be scaled down? The group mark still worth 60% so if my mark get scaled down below 50, I'd be in trouble.

LordPc

HSC
well you have done 2 CPR's now and you should know what they are looking for, so if you work on it you should be able to get a solid 90+ on the last one. just look at the questions in both CPR's and compare your 98 response with your 78.

if what Omium is true then you should be fine if your group is doing well in the assessments. you will just get knocked back a bit at the end.

(r u going the cse project btw?)

_santa

HSC
Alright, that's a relief, thanks! I'm not used to working in groups and basically just waited for people to tell me what to do, it's my fault ><

and yes I'm doing the cse project, how'd u know?

erm

HSC
Alright, that's a relief, thanks! I'm not used to working in groups and basically just waited for people to tell me what to do, it's my fault ><

how did your team go in sumo? :p

LordPc

HSC

your doing comp sci, so an educated guess is all

how did your team go in sumo? :p
my team failed, failed badly. howd yours go santa?

are you doing the cse project too erm?

_santa

HSC
Oh sorry, I didn't see Omium's post. So the lowest ipeer can give you is 80% of your group mark? That's a huge relief, thanks. May I ask if you did the cse project last year?

we did ok, the smart guys of course weren't satisfied, but I couldn't ask for more^^

Last edited:

Zaikatana

HSC
N/A
I know its very strange for me to bring up this old thread again, but I am somewhat in a similar situation as the OP. I am currently doing ENGG1000, and pretty much stuffed up my first CPR big time, however, I am showing lots of contribution to my team as one of the main programmers in the team, however I do not think that that alone will be enough to pull me through. I may be over-reacting but I need some reassurance and some advice TT

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It is certainly possible to fail and I have seen many people fail it (in the electrical strand, not cse), not because their design failed (that is okay) but because they didn't put the work in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)