• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can you use laptops during lectures (to type notes) @ usyd (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
just wondering if theres space in the various lecturing locations for students to do so. Also power sources?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
in tutorial rooms yes... in lecture theatre i doubt it.. tho it does not forbid u from usin it...
just dun make any weird noises... the lecturers hate that...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't bother. So far as I know noone's followed this idea through past the first week.

thebach

HSC
Are we allowed to record the lectures on an ipod or is it prohibited?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
problem is: i write slooooow. Plus writing bores me. What's the dif between tutorials + lectures

DAAVE

HSC
there were these two guys at my school who decided to bring their laptops to every lesson for work. it stopped hapening very quickly.

god the sound of keys clicking is annoying. especially in a silent classroom.

DAAVE

HSC
That said tho i was thinking of getting one of those 12" apple laptops for uni.

SeDaTeD

HSC
To learn and retain stuff, I have to pay attention. Problem is when I write I lose focus on what's being said. Do you people reckon it's feasible to just listen and take minimal notes? I'm guessing most of the material in lectures will be covered by textbooks, especially for science and maths.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
To learn and retain stuff, I have to pay attention. Problem is when I write I lose focus on what's being said. Do you people reckon it's feasible to just listen and take minimal notes? I'm guessing most of the material in lectures will be covered by textbooks, especially for science and maths.
Basically what I plan to do is take extra little notes inside the textbook as I follow the lecture content in there, maybe that'll work for you.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
problem is: i write slooooow. Plus writing bores me. What's the dif between tutorials + lectures
u can voice record... a geeky dude (looks around... he's not here hopefully) usually brings his mp3 to record the lecture... i doubt it's that useful tho... cuz apparently, tho he records, he never listens to them...

not sure abt video recording tho... i doubt it prohibited...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
xiao1985 said:
u can voice record... a geeky dude (looks around... he's not here hopefully) usually brings his mp3 to record the lecture... i doubt it's that useful tho... cuz apparently, tho he records, he never listens to them...

not sure abt video recording tho... i doubt it prohibited...
As far as I know lectures are technically copywrite, so its prohibited to record them.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah one of my rellos told me that..

they dont like you to record it because if they give you ANY type of wrong information, and u have it on tape.. then they can be charged and all kinds of silly things

Generator

HSC
N/A
Will_Sparky said:
As far as I know lectures are technically copywrite, so its prohibited to record them.
Yes, but there is no harm in asking whether you are allowed to set up a recording device... Many lecturers do not mind, and some take a recording of the lecture themselves.

Don't bother with a laptop, as at the moment I cannot see you going into an exam with a pc rather than an exam booklet (pen and paper) on the desk.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
I'll be using lectures as an explanation of the textbook contents. Something that goes a bit beyond what's inside a textbook. So I'll basically be taking minimal notes......just the very important stuff....and then synchronising it with the texbook, tutorial and my own thoughts...to produce a final result[note]....:eek:...:D

[P.S. If I have to write evrything...I'll be "F"ed up big time...cuz I'm a very speed challenged writer]

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hahahah

when differential starts, u will realise that it's not the speed that challenges u, it's the fact that u need to copy + udnerstand wut the lecturer is sayin taht's a pain in the bak side...

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
hahahah

when differential starts, u will realise that it's not the speed that challenges u, it's the fact that u need to copy + udnerstand wut the lecturer is sayin taht's a pain in the bak side...

hmmm...dat gives me an idea. I WILL HUNT U AND PULL ALL YOUR FEATHERS OUT...if you don't help me and zeropoint. .................... :eek::D

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
This thread is really freaking me out....I'm picturing myself in a lecture room frantically copying notes looking like a madman...well....a mad woman...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I tried using my laptop for taking notes, but the fan made too much noise. I hope for a Tablet PC (with a keyboard) when the technology is a bit cheaper, because I would be able to take notes on its keyboard, And i would be able to draw down diagrams and music notes.

alien

HSC
i'm just going to write my butt off with my lecture pad and pen. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)