can't decide which to drop (1 Viewer)

irfhoefwno2i3r23

HSC
I'm currently doing 13 units for year 12 which is too difficult, so currently considering dropping to either 11 or 12 units. I'm considering either dropping Sci Ext (1 unit) or Business Studies (2 units). Thinking of dropping business studies because it's content heavy (even though I quite like it) would allow me to have a bit of free time doing 11 units instead of 12, but I'm also doing physics which I'm not 100% confident in considering it's guaranteed to be counted or at least half of it. Dropping sci ext means I have 12 units which is quite a heavy workload but it means that I have 2 units for backup plus i'm not really enjoying the theory content in sci ext, but thought the research project would be interesting.

any thoughts/advice on which i should drop?

p.s. I also have visual arts major work which means that doing 11 units (including sci ext and dropping business) would mean I have 2 major works. As for my yr 11 report, I did quite well in business studies, it's just that there's so much content.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems like you are in a situation where both options have advantages and disadvantages, making it more difficult to make an informed decision given that both options seem appealing. In such a case, it would be a good idea to have a closer look at what each option has to offer and, based on this, try to determine whether there is an aspect(s) to each subject that you may have overlooked which could make it easier for you to decide.

Keeping Science Extension:

The fact that Science Extension requires students to produce a Scientific Research Report means that you will gain knowledge and skills (notably scientific research) that may be useful and can be applied beyond year 12. This becomes relevant if you intend to study science (or a similar field/degree) at university, which seems like a possibility since you are also taking Physics.

Keeping Science Extension perhaps becomes unjustified if you do not intend to study science (or a related field) at university. However, it becomes problematic when considering the fact that you are not enjoying its content, which is exacerbated when considering that it is a 1-unit subject, which undermines the effect that favourable performance would have on your ATAR when compared to a 2-unit subject (in this case Business Studies). The question that you should think about is this: Do you strongly believe that you would be prepared to keep a 1-unit subject, the content of which you do not enjoy and where the effect of favourable performance is not the most advantageous?

Additionally, keep in mind that Science Extension is an Extension subject. Extension subjects are designed to impose a higher level of difficulty by nature, which is another factor to consider in terms of your decision.

Keeping Business Studies:

Business Studies (particularly the HSC course), while neither treated as a prerequisite nor assumed knowledge, provides a foundation of knowledge that would be beneficial to have if you intend on studying business/commerce (or a similar field/degree) at university, which appears to be a possibility given that you like this subject.

I agree with the above post in that the content of Business Studies is not unbearable with respect to content (although I don't know how it compares to Science Extension since I did not take Science Extension). Regularly studying will allow you to remain up-to-date with the content throughout year 12 and ensure maximum preparation for your assessment tasks and exams which, given your evident interest in the subject, does not sound like a process that you will despise.

Of course, favourable performance in Business Studies (which is definitely possible) will have a more significant effect on your ATAR given its unit value, giving it an inherent advantage over Science Extension.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)