Carbon compounds (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
i know how to do the easy ethene, ethane, propene etc. But i dont understand what this means (and cant remember from last term) 1-Butene? What is the significance of the '1'? Is it just the position of the double bond?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
but how do u know where to put the Hydrogens. Because i just put them randomly for the others and it was right. But for the 1-butene and 2-butene they have no hydrogen in the 2nd and 2nd and third carbons (respectively)???

xeriphic

each carbon atoms connects to four bonds so just draw up the lines then add the hydrogen, the place where carbon connects the double bond it only connect to one other carbon, not sure if that's what you wanted to know

Paroissien

HSC
wrx said:
but how do u know where to put the Hydrogens. Because i just put them randomly for the others and it was right. But for the 1-butene and 2-butene they have no hydrogen in the 2nd and 2nd and third carbons (respectively)???
You put hydrogens on every free bond, and every carbon atom has three bonds.
1-butene: CH2=CH2CH2CH3 (this is what I got from a textbook)
But as far as I can see, that 2nd carbon atom would have to have 5 bonds for that to work (double bond + 2H + 3rd carbon atom). Or have I missing something?
So in answer to your question, as far as I can see the 2nd carbon atom would have one hydrogen bonded to it.
C=CH-C... and so on

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
wrx said:
Think of it this way. If it's 1-butene, have one less H on the first and second carbons, and if it's 2-butene, have one less H on the second and third carbons. EASY :uhhuh:

EDIT: basically whats above me is right hehe :rolleyes:

Paroissien

HSC
Can someone tell me if my above post is correct concerning 1-butene

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
1-Butene is:

CH2=CH-CH2-CH3

Paroissien

HSC
Thanks, so the book was wrong. I've always expected it was a shit book

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)