• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

carbonated drinks????? (1 Viewer)

Topher15

HSC
i need urgent help with the forula for carbondioxide in soft drinks, also how to use le chatleirs priniple to remove the Co2. please help i need it desperatly.

sykoticx

HSC
Topher15 said:
i need urgent help with the forula for carbondioxide in soft drinks, also how to use le chatleirs priniple to remove the Co2. please help i need it desperatly.
isn't this in Mod. 2 - Acidic Enviro?

CO2 (g) + H2O (l) <-> H2CO3 (aq)

that's what you're after yeah?
removing the carbon dioxide? errmm using LC's principle? no idea..
the formula above is in equilibrium so if you reduce the CO2, it will shift so more is produced...

only when the equilibrium is broken then is CO2 lost..

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
to remove CO2:

heat up soft drink
add acid to soft drink
reduce pressure
add salt to soft drink (believe it or not, this removes water from equilibirum)

lunavixen

HSC
well, in an unopened bottle or can of soft drink, there is an equilibrium of CO2 in aqueous and gaseous form, some goes into aqueous and some comes out;
like so:

CO2(aq)<-->CO2(g)

when you open the bottle or can, the gaseous CO2 is released, shifting the equilibrium to the left(?), so more gaseous CO2 needs to be made to restore equilibrium. Le Chatelier's principle states: if a chemical system in equilibrium changes in temperature, volume or pressure, the system will shift to minimise the disturbance. or in lay terms: if a system in equilibrium is disturbed, it will adjust itself to minimise the changes.

seeing as opening the system (soft drink bottle) lowers the pressure (they are packed at approx 2 atmospheres), CO2 comes out of the soft drink (aqueous to gaseous forms) to try and re-establish equilibrium (minimising disturbances). this makes the soft drink go flat.

Does that help any?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)