• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

case study. HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

graduateof08

HSC
ok we have to write a newspaper article describing a case study that shows how an environmental change can lead to changes in a species.

i know what i need to write i think, but in our marking criteria it says we have to be able to evaluate the relevence of secondary information and data in relation to our particular case, and also identify trends, patterns and relationships in information.
i really need help on how to do this!!! are we supposed to talk about where we got this information in our article????
also, what would be the best method to acknowledge sources, for some reason i dont see that the good old bibliography would be appropriate in this case!!

its due first week back.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I LEFT IT TO THE HOLIDAYS TO DO THIS!! SO ANNOYED WITH MYSELF!:vcross:

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

okay well I'm not very sure of what you have to do but I'll try help anyway,

You're writing a newspaper article about environmental changes and how they lead to a change in species so the information in your article would be based on some form of secondary information such as graphs, stats etc, to prove that environmental changes lead to blah blah..

So basically, you have to find loads of stats (try scientific journals) and evaluate the relevance of this info in relation to your particular case, and by identifying the trends, patterns and relationships in the information you're able to interpret the info and link it well to your article's purpose.

Basically, (even more basic that the last paragraph :p) either way you're doing the second point when interpreting the info you find and well, by relating your info to environmental changes and etc.. you've answered the first point :)

(don't take my word for this ^^ i'm just guessing, there could be more to it!)

In terms of sources, for my chemistry research task, I used endnotes (apparently they look classy), and I used the referencing format provided by my teacher so I'm not very sure how your teacher would want it set out.. I'd use uni methods if I were in your position though

Goodluck with it, hope i helped

graduateof08

HSC
but its supposed to be in the form of a newspaper article.....
ok i was going to write about the peppered moth, but there are no graphs or stats that i can find for that but there is alot of information about them and how they changed blah blah blah. so i'm still a little confused....:confused:
i'm so sorry your help was really good. i'm just completely over it all right now!!
thankyou for your help!

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

yeah well a newspaper article having some form of science behind it usually contains stats like for eg, the Organisation of Lowlifes said that there was a 40% increase in the population of peppered moths after the first year of the industrial revolution (just a made up stat).

umm.. well you can use that info of how they changed as secondary information that proved they changed?

Searching J.W Tutt and his findings might be helpful (i think he was the one that figured out the whole peppered moth thing)

Oh and I have absolutely no idea if this book will help (or if you can find it) but after a bit of googling, this is the best i could find:
Natural Selection and Evolution in Moths: Homage to J. W. Tutt
Denis F. Owen
Oikos, Vol. 78, No. 1 (Feb., 1997)

From experience, I say the library is the best help. Spend the day at a huge library (maybe the city or uni) and look through scientific journals by people that contributed to this finding or have worked off this finding... and encyclopedia's are pretty good too - If you're pretty productive and good at researching, i say you could finish the whole thing in that day..

graduateof08

HSC
thank you so much for your help.... i dont have time to go to a big library...i live a fair way out of the city and our local library sucks, but i'll do my best to research on the net.
thanx again...i'll let you know how i go!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)