• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Catch-up Tips? Anyone!? (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
Hey,

I'm an english/history nerd. Love the stuff, can't get enough of it. This means I do hardly any maths work, jumping at an essay or similar rather than doing the simple 20mins of maths work needed per day.

However, this has led to a pretty serious problem. As of now, i'm terribly prepared for our HSC Trials (early term 3), and the thought of revising all the work i've now forgotten makes me nauseous. For example, I thought I'd go through a past HSC paper the other day, to see if i'm overreacting... I sat there for about an hour sweating profusely, and then attempted about four questions, two of which I got wrong.

Can anyone give me any tips as to where to start catching up, or good techniques to thoroughly revise past work? I'm currently sitting at the bottom of my class, and i'm not aiming to kick ass and whip myself up to the top, but I do want to climb a few rankings and then at least be prepared for the HSC exam.

I haven't got a tutor, and I've heard that they're beneficial, but i'm not sure how great they'd be in this situation. Are tutors helpful? Would they be a means of catching up past work?

Thanks, i'm keen to hear a few replies.

Nick :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well the sooner the better
its not too late to get a tutor....they help you lots and trust me it works
however, if you put more time into maths say 3 hrs a day till ur hsc trials then i wouldnt see why u wouldnt go bad in the trials
jus try and put some effort in your maths and u shouldnt have any problems
hope this helps
jezza

rama_v

HSC
Also dont do past papers until you are confident with your ability in all the major topics which are coming up in the trials - your better off workign through textbook exercises first, and then doing past papers after you've got the concepts under grasp. Btu really 2 Unit maths isnt really that hard, it just requires a bti of effort, so if you work hard theres no reason why you wont go well in the trials.

bEAbEA

HSC
if you have the step by step 2U Maths Excel book, work through each chapter at a time. Yeah, i agree with rama_v, don't try past papers until you are confident

nwatts

HSC
Ah, cheers guys. I'll have a look out for an Excel book, and in the meantime i'll start revising the 'big' topics. I'm looking to crack down over the holidays too.

Affinity

HSC
Get the maths/physics nerd at your school to explain things to you... It's easier to get a feeling of what's important and what's not that way

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Yeh don't do past papers yet if you haven't grasped the important concepts. Maybe spending some time on maths from various textbooks about say atleast an hour a day? - If you can't stand doing maths then maybe listen to the radio/mp3 whatever thats what I do, makes it more bearable methinks.

Also go see your math teacher if you don't understand a minor detail, if you still don't get it ask another teacher, get a tutor, ask your parents/or a nice mathsy friend =)

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
once u grasp the theory... do sum of the basic questions but dont do too many coz then it just gets stupid.... look at some of the good questions... like the types found in fitzpatric

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
just start right at the beginning and work the way through. if you don't get time for the harder stuff so be it, at least nail the easy sections, and have a solid base. from there you can sometimes work things out anyway. i had a lot of catch up to do as well last year, and once i had a good platform, the rest kinda just flowed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)