• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cathode rays (2 Viewers)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
am i the only one who got confused when they learnt that anode is positive

i mean, ok i'll accept it, but in chemistry, they drill you learning about cells in the first topic, with the anode being the negative terminal.... wtf that confused me

rama_v

HSC
The trick is to never get yourself into a habit of thinking that the anode is positive or negative. ALWAYS, the anode is where oxidation occurs, and the cathode is where reduction occurs. AN OX and RED CAT

I think the reason is that cations(positive ions) move towards the negative terminal hence they named it the cathode...

batigol

Giant
HSC
cant be...cathode is where the electrons, not cations, come from so the naming is a bit confusing here.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
*Bump*

I found this concept confusing at first too...

Then I worked this out...

Electrons are the negative particles, they are repelled from the negative terminal.
In redox reactions, oxidation is loss of electrons, and it occurs at the anode.
This would make the anode a POSITIVE terminal, as it is where the electrons are attracted to.

This would make the cathode negative, as the electrons are moving away from it.

In chemistry, the terminals have been labelled positve and negative because they state that the negative terminal is where the negatively charged particles are, and the same with positive.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
currysauce said:
am i the only one who got confused when they learnt that anode is positive

i mean, ok i'll accept it, but in chemistry, they drill you learning about cells in the first topic, with the anode being the negative terminal.... wtf that confused me
In an galvanic cell, anode is negative. In an electrolytic cell, anode is positive.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
*Bump*

I found this concept confusing at first too...

Then I worked this out...

Electrons are the negative particles, they are repelled from the negative terminal.
In redox reactions, oxidation is gain of electrons, and it occurs at the anode.
This would make the anode a POSITIVE terminal, as it is where the electrons are attracted to.

This would make the cathode negative, as the electrons are moving away from it.

In chemistry, the terminals have been labelled positve and negative because they state that the negative terminal is where the negatively charged particles are, and the same with positive.
What? Oxidation is the loss of electrons, not gain. Reading your post, you are totally confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)