CD burners (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
Since my cd burner (internal) is not burning or even working these days...should i buy an external burner one and leave the internal one where it is or should i buy a replacement internal cd burner and get somebody to install it......and how much would a reasonably good burner cost? Becasue i've seen heaps selling from $45...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Astro,
Are you after a completely new external cd burner ?
Perhaps you want to just buy an external USB2.0 / Firewire case and take your internal and make it external.

Personally, im not a big fan of external drives unless they are powered by the USB / firewire ports (Maybe because im a laptop user).

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
CD burners have dropped down to prices of around $45, i still remember only last year that a CD READER costs $60...
the reason for such a large price drop is because everyone is buying DVD burners instead

so i would advice you to go out and spend the money on DVD Writer instead of external drive
the cheapest price for a 8x DVD burner i think is around $99

if you are not going to use the external burner on another PC, then it really is a waste of money as it defeats the purpose of having an external drive, note that external drives cost TWICE as much as an internal

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
8x? wow, wouldn't that take a really really long time to burn those 4.4gb files?

Winston

HSC
Just get a normal internal cd burner, and follow the instructions. It will be much better.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Jago said:
8x? wow, wouldn't that take a really really long time to burn those 4.4gb files?
x speed for dvd is not the same as cd burners x speeds - its faster.
But no, my x4 burns a full dvd in about 25mins.

apparently they are up to x12
But then again, when they start introducing "double layered" blank dvd's - teahcinically it would take the same amount of time yeah ? :rolleyes:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Ouch, i cut myself on a shopping trolley :(

(Closest thing to metal) :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Cd drives are fairly easy..
1)unplug power source
2)remove old CD drive IDE, CD audio cable and power cable
3)slide new one in.. attach cables assuring that the red line on the IDE cable is facing outwards..
4)mount with screws
5) boot up.. goto BIOS.. and detect drive.. usualli in newer ones its lik auto
6)ready to use

i think its so basic these days.. like lego.. just read the manual and the pieces come together

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i cut myself on the metal edges everytime i open my computer :(

you don't have to install it yourself, you can find yourself a nice computer shop and ask them to install it free of charge, ie if you buy it from that shop :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Cd drives are fairly easy..
1)unplug power source
2)remove old CD drive IDE, CD audio cable and power cable
3)slide new one in.. attach cables assuring that the red line on the IDE cable is facing outwards..
4)mount with screws
5) boot up.. goto BIOS.. and detect drive.. usualli in newer ones its lik auto
6)ready to use

i think its so basic these days.. like lego.. just read the manual and the pieces come together
you forgot master/slave configuration :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
CDRW should be in the master setting and most if not all of them come default in that, so plug and play should figure it out :)

astro

HSC
this may seem like a stupid question - but are you suppose to remove every screw....i did and the case is still stuck on.....oh well i'll just ask if they can install the burner when i buy it....
Thanks everyone for your help ;)

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Grizzly said:
Astro,
Are you after a completely new external cd burner ?
Perhaps you want to just buy an external USB2.0 / Firewire case and take your internal and make it external.

Personally, im not a big fan of external drives unless they are powered by the USB / firewire ports (Maybe because im a laptop user).
Personally I'm not a fan of external... even if they're USB or Firewire...

But if you're looking at External, try to make sure they're both Win and Mac compatible, with Firewire and USB if possible...

Otherwise... LiteOn and BenQ internals are cheap and they work... so yeah. *shrugs*

My 2 cents, hope it helps.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
force maybe neccessary if you have a really old computer case but since you can't even open it, i think it's better to leave it to someone with experience

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Grizzly said:
x speed for dvd is not the same as cd burners x speeds - its faster.
But no, my x4 burns a full dvd in about 25mins.

apparently they are up to x12
But then again, when they start introducing "double layered" blank dvd's - teahcinically it would take the same amount of time yeah ? :rolleyes:

yeah 12x dvd burners are out... i got one!! but there arn't any 12x dvd recordable media!! but i have seen dual layered dvd's... apparently a dvd burner writes the first layer at max speed.. and then it drops to about 2.5x to burn the second layer.... in effect taking alittle over an hour to burn a full 8.74 gb...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)